Chapter 1

Shuichi let out a satisfying sigh as he stood outside his new school. His uncle had gotten a new job, so he had moved out of the small town he had always lived in to a slightly bigger city. He didn't mind, though. Not a lot of people had considered Shuichi his friend, so he considered it lucky that he was getting a fresh start.

First days were always tough, especially in high school, but something was telling Shuichi that maybe it wouldn't be too bad. Hundreds of students with faces that he probably would never talk to passed by him, not taking a second glance at the dark-haired male standing still. Even though Shuichi was interested and maybe even a little excited, he didn't want to walk in. Who knew what could happen?

His eyes moved away from the huge school building and landed on all the students. Many of them were excited to be back, talking with their friends. I can't have a place here, can I? Shuichi's hands balled up and he let out a deep breath. No... I can do this, he tried to convince himself. He pulled his hat down and sighed.

"Hey, whatcha standing there for? Are you a statue?" The voice was coming from behind Shuichi, but he hesitated to look. Teasing. It was common to him at his old school, as a few people teased him all the time for wearing a hat all the time and other various reasons. Even though it's happened to Shuichi multiple times, it still set a pang in his heart.

"Hey, don't be mean to him!" Another person said. It was a girl's voice. Eventually, Shuichi turns around to face the people talking to him.

Two boys and a girl. One of the boys had magenta-colored hair and a goatee, another had purple hair that seemed to defy gravity, and the girl had wavy blond hair. After a few seconds of awkward silence, Shuichi eventually asked them, "Ah, um, w-who are you guys?"

The boy with purple hair grinned as he started to introduce himself. "I'm Kokichi Ouma! And I have an organization with 10,000 members!" The other two let out a groan.

"Really, Kokichi?" The magenta-haired male gave him a disapproving look.

"Honestly, sometimes I wonder how I became friends with you. You lie so much it's not even funny,"the girl said as she pouts a bit. Lie? Her face returned to a smile as she faced Shuichi. "I'm Kaede Akamatsu, by the way!"

"And I'm Kaito Momota, Luminary of the Stars!" the other guy declared. Shuichi stared at him for a few seconds before questioning what Kaito said.

"Luminary... of the Stars? Is that an official title or something?"

"Haha, no, it's just something Kaito likes to call himself. Cuz he's into space and all," Kokichi explained.

"It's not just something I like to call myself! It will be a real title someday!" Kaito argued.

"Yeah, right," Kokichi said in a sarcastic tone. The two continued to argue. Shuichi assumed this must be something that happened regularly. Kokichi seemed to be winning.

"If only Rantaro was here, he would be able to settle this..." Kaede said with a sigh. Shuichi didn't know who Rantaro was just yet, but he figured that he would meet him soon. "Anyway, we should head to our first class. Do you mind if I see your schedule to see if we have the same classes?"

Shuichi felt a bit confused, wondering why Kaede was suddenly concerned on the classes they shared. Let alone the fact that this random group of people just decided to walk up to him of all people. Maybe that's just how students are here? he wondered as he got out his schedule from his pocket.

Kaede let out a small squeal when she saw that Shuichi and herself shared 4 classes together. Shuichi honestly didn't understand why she was so excited. That doesn't usually happen with people you just met, right?