Chapter 18

Shuichi's heart raced when Kokichi said he'd reveal everything. "I... Aren't you going to tell everyone?"

"No, where'd you get that idea?" A laugh escaped the shorter one's mouth. "Speaking of which, is anyone else in here?" The two of them eyed the locks on all of the stalls. Shuichi audibly gasped when he noticed the red on one of the stalls, meaning it was locked. Someone has been listening to them this entire time.

"Who..." Shuichi trailed off. He looked to Kokichi, wondering what he would do.

"Helloooooo??" Kokichi knocked on the stall loudly. "You better get ouuut~" It reminded Shuichi of a child.

"Do you think that will really work..."

A moment later, the occupied stall opened. To both Kokichi's and Shuichi's surprise, Kiibo had been in the stall. Kokichi narrowed his eyes, while Shuichi's widened in surprise.

"Didn't know robots could use bathrooms," Kokichi scoffed. "I bet you just wanted to eavesdrop on us."

"T-That's not it at all!" Kiibo stammered.

"Whatever. You should just go." Kokichi frowned. It felt off to Shuichi since Kokichi had always been nicer to him compared to Kiibo.

As Kiibo left, Kokichi turned back to the detective. "Anyways..." he muttered, "where were we?" Before Shuichi could answer, he answered his own question. "Right! I'm gonna tell you everything!

"So... um, you're wondering about why I was gone," Kokichi stated. Now that the two were alone, Shuichi noted that the liar had become increasingly uneasy, though he didn't say anything. Kokichi continued. "Soo... I know you know about the bet and all, so I'm just going to save you some time. You're right."

"What?" Shuichi said in shock. "All of it is right?"

"Yep! I did have a bet with Celeste, and it was going well at first, y'know. I was—"

"Kokichi, just why would you do a bet like that? I... I mean, 20,000 yen?"

"Can't you just let me explain?!" Kokichi exclaimed. "My... my mom needed a surgery, and I needed to get money somehow..."

Shuichi silently put the pieces of the puzzle, and he glanced up at Kokichi's eyes. He wasn't lying this time. There was a definitive glint, and yet Kokichi's voice held a tone of desperation. He had been out of options. The bet must've been his last resort.

"But instead... I got myself in trouble with the law. I have no idea how she'll be able to afford it, or how I can get money for it."

Shuichi had no idea what to do. Kokichi had unleashed this huge truth to him. It certainly was unexpected. Shuichi had always been bad at emotional support, and simply told him. "I'm sorry about that. It'll... it'll be okay."

"Man, you suck at this," Kokichi said.

"I— what? What was I supposed to say?" Shuichi retorted.

"Maybe, I dunno, give me a solution?" Kokichi scoffed. "Don't you work a part-time job?"

Shuichi was confused by the question, but answered anyway. "Yes... do you?"

"No," Kokichi said whilst rolling his eyes. "Why would I shoplift the Panta for money when the job would pay me?"

Trying to get the scene of Kokichi shoplifting Panta out of his head. the detective continued with his questioning. "Well, it'll be hard to get another job if that's on your record."

"No shit, Shuichi!" Kokichi exclaimed. "Please, how bad could you be at this? I am never asking you for help again."

"I— Wait!!" Shuichi called out as he watched Kokichi storm out of the bathroom. He quickly walked to follow him, but was swarmed by a crowd of students. Kokichi was much shorter than majority of the students, making him near impossible to find amongst the crowd.

Shuichi cursed himself for being bad at this. If he had just been nicer, or more helpful, maybe Kokichi wouldn't have left. Just why did Kokichi think it was best to confide in him? Rantaro could've been the better option, he had more money which meant he could help Kokichi better. Kaede could provide the emotional support that Shuichi couldn't. Even Kaito knew how to cheer people up in a way that Shuichi couldn't help but admire.

But either way, Shuichi had had all his answers. He learned that for the most part, his investigation proved successful. Yet that's what made him the most unhappy. When the detective followed the liar into the bathroom, he had hoped that he was wrong. Shuichi had hoped that Kokichi didn't have a bet, and that he didn't have a court trial, and that he didn't shoplift and get caught.

Before he knew it, Shuichi found himself in his next class, orchestra. He was glad Kokichi wasn't in this class. As he sat next to Kiibo, unpacked his violin and opened his folder with sheet music, Shuichi noticed that he still couldn't get his mind off what had happened. He regretted what he had done and wanted to go back.

"Shuichi, you don't look alright. Do you want to talk about it?" Kiibo asked, and for a moment, Shuichi wanted to yell in frustration but he didn't.

"No thanks."

As the director started rehearsing the music, Shuichi tried to concentrate on the black dots on his sheet music, but he could only see Kokichi running off. Running away from him.

"You keep playing the wrong notes..." Kiibo noted as he glanced at the music and where Shuichi was placing his fingers on the fingerboard of his violin. "It's supposed to be 4th finger since it's—"

"I know..." Shuichi interrupted, trying not to grit his teeth.

"Um, forgive me for asking but does this have anything to do with Kokichi?"

Of course it had to be Kiibo who had known that the two were discussing something, even if he didn't know what. Shuichi had almost forgotten Kiibo was in a bathroom stall before Kokichi kicked him out. He gripped the neck of his violin tighter, and felt his left hand grow sticky with sweat. Mindlessly wiping it on his pants, he replied, "Yeah. A bit."

"Oh. I told you to stay away from Kokichi. That's why I stopped talking to him in the first place," Kiibo explained.

"What's why?" Shuichi blurted out.

"He... He made me feel bad about myself. And I'm sure he's doing the same to you too."

Shuichi was unsure how to respond. "Ah, um... I think you're mistaken. Kokichi doesn't insult me or anything. At least... I don't think he does."

"Really? Then I guess it's just me..." Kiibo said sadly. He idly plucked the A and D string of his violin, averting his eyes from the detective.
———
a/n

JDJSJSJS I UPDATED THIS LIKE FOUR MONTHS LATER LMAOAODKSJJDBD

this is your christmas gift btw, merry christmas to those that celebrate.

also "no shit, shuichi" is by far the most funniest thing i have ever thought of and i will be using that from now on