one

Eui hated the beach. She hated the ocean. She had a traumatic experience with the water since she was a child.

When she was seven, she almost drowned in the bathtub. Then, when she was nine, she was swept away by the tide. She drowned and was knocked out cold.

When she woke up, she was back on the shore with a paramedic trying to wake her up. She didn't know how she got back to shore. She was hospitalized later that day because there was still water stuck in her body and lungs.

To this day, Eui has asthma because of the water that was stuck in her lungs.

So Eui didn't know why she allowed her friend, Iseul, to drag her to the beach. Iseul was fully aware of Eui's fear, but she wanted to help her friend see the beauty of the ocean.

"I don't like the beach, Iseul," Eui said as she rubbed her arms. "You know that."

Iseul grimaced a smile. "I know, Eui, but I thought it'd be nice to just hang out someplace nice. You don't even have to go into the water. At least, stay on the sand and maybe wet your toes a little. Can you do that for me?"

Eui nodded after seeing the look on her friend's face. "I can wet my toes a little. Just know that I'm doing this for you, okay?"

Iseul smiled. "I know, Eui, I know. You remember your inhaler?"

Eui nodded, reaching into her dress pockets to pull it out. "Safely tucked away."

Iseul chuckled as she parked the car. "Come on, I'm just dying to eat what you packed for the picnic. Your food is the best."

Eui chuckled. "Sometimes I think that's why you're friends with me - for my food."