ten

Seaweed, kelp, sometimes we eat dead fish.

"So you're like a vegetarian," Eui stated.

Jimin tilted his head curiously.

"Oh - I'm guessing you don't have those, huh?" she asked.

Jimin shook his head.

"What happened? How did you lose your voice? And how do I get you home?"

Jimin looked down sadly at the trembling piece of paper in his hand. Slowly, he started writing.

The king got the sea witch to take my voice. He was afraid I would tell humans about our existence. But I guess he should have thought about it more. He should have probably taken my tail away.

Eui frowned. "I like your tail," she whispered, longingly glancing at it. "It's pretty, and I'm glad I met you the way I did. You're my friend now, Jimin!"

He smiled brightly at her. He had many friends back in the ocean, but he never had a friend like Eui. She was innocent and similar to him in many ways.

You're my friend too, Eui!

"Just don't tell Iseul," Eui whispered, cupping one side of her mouth. "She might kill me."

I'll protect you!

Eui smiled in satisfaction. "And I'll protect you too, Jimin. I won't let anything happen to you. I refuse to have you taken away from me. We're going to be friends until the day one of us dies."

Jimin nodded, liking his new friendship with Eui.

"But...I'd like you to have your voice back, Jimin, so I'm going to find a way for you to get it back. I swear, Jimin, I'll find a way!" she declared.

Be careful.

[10/12/2018: happy birthday, Jimin!]