thirteen

"Jimin?" Iseul called out as they entered Eui's household.

There was a splash in the bathroom. Eui followed Iseul into the bathroom.

Jimin smiled at Eui, peeking up once he saw her. She smiled reassuringly at him.

"Speak," Iseul ordered, her voice wavering.

Jimin scrunched in his eyebrows and reached for the pen and paper. Iseul shook her head, making Jimin even more confused.

"Eui made a deal with the sea warlock. She lost her voice, in return for your voice and a chance at legs. You can speak now, so speak!" Iseul angrily shouted. "My best friend can't speak because of you."

Eui placed her hand on Iseul's arm and shook her head. She offered a gentle smile to Jimin and nodded once.

Jimin opened his mouth, uncertain. "Hello?"

Eui smiled and clapped giddily.

"Hello?" he repeated. He smiled. "I can talk! I can - " A sudden remembrance hit him in the head. "But, you can't. Eui, you can't talk. Why would you do that for me?"

"I asked the same thing," Iseul said. "I'll never understand how kind this woman is, but you better be glad, Jimin. Eui clearly cares about you."

Eui nodded and gave a thumbs up. She knew that Iseul was being hostile, but she still agreed with her on a more positive note. She formed a heart with her hands and smiled at Jimin. Then, she took out her phone and started typing. An automatic voice read out her words for her.

"Because we're friends, Jimin, and I've always wanted to hear your voice. Now, we can go out and eat ice cream together."