seven

Hoseok was with his grandfather and his mother at the beach. His grandfather was bent on finding a mermaid to add to his collection.

Hoseok's mother - his grandfather's daughter-in-law - was merely there for support. Hoseok didn't mind the hobby his family decided to invest their time in, but he didn't love it.

He thought it was cool to be taught how to use weapons and learn about mythical creatures that children would only believe to be mythical.

"Grandpa, what makes you think I can catch a mermaid for you? I'm not as good as you."

His grandfather rolled his eyes and hit Hoseok's knee with his cane. Hoseok's knee buckled and he scowled at his grandfather.

"Hunt," he corrected, "not catch. We don't catch them. Catching means we eventually set them free. Hunt means we get to kill them."

Hoseok sighed. He had already hunted a centaur, a mothman, and a werewolf, but his grandfather was still not proud of him. There was only one creature his grandfather never hunted in his youth - a mermaid.

Hoseok's father was long dead. He died at sea when Hoseok was 4-years-old. His grandfather thought that his son dying at sea was a sign. A sign to hunt down a mermaid.

"Excuse me? Can you help me carry something? It's really heavy."

Hoseok turned around to face a woman who wasn't really dressed for the beach. She was wearing jeans and a tank top. Most women would be wearing swimsuits.

"Sure," he said, drowning out his grandfather's scolding.