Chapter 7

Chloe pulled her truck into the parking lot of the Two Whales Diner. I opened my door and stepped out with Max following behind, closing the door afterwards. Chloe stepped out from the drivers side and closed the door behind her and we all headed inside. "Yo, Imma go to the bathroom real quick. Why don't you two go get us a booth" Chloe said. "Yeah okay." Came Max's reply and with that she headed towards the bathroom while Max and I went to an empty booth. "Hey, How's your injuries from yesterday doing?" Max asked out of nowhere. "Oh good" Came my reply, when in fact they are constantly stinging from the pain, but I don't want that to stop me from protecting anyone in need, like Max yesterday. Suddenly a middle aged woman with her blonde hair tied up in a bun came to our booth. 

"And there she is- A Lovely young woman. How are you doing Max?" She said putting on a bright smile towards the girl opposite of me. "Hi Joyce, It's nice to see you again" Max said looking up at the middle aged woman returning the bright smile. The kind middle aged woman looked towards me "Ah, I haven't seen you around before. What's your name young man?" ah, okay don't panic I'm sure she's nice. Besides she's the waitress, so I'm gonna have to speak to her eventually. "I'm Cody Travanos. I'm from Dallas. And yes I'm new.. I've been here about two days?" I said questioning myself a little bit still shocked that it's already been two days since I walked on new territory. "Well it's nice to meet you Cody. I'm Joyce Price. Chloe's Mother. I take it she wouldn't have introduced me to any new friends. But she has mentioned you once." Ahh Chloe's mother. She's the complete opposite of what Chloe is, I'm assuming there's a reason why Chloe's like she is, but it's cool to meet her mum, she looks chill and understanding. "Anyway I heard you got a hell of a smack from David yesterday, Something about pushing him away? I'm so sorry that he did that to you." She looked towards the mark on my face "Oh my, is that what he did?" "Uh yeah. It's fine though, just stings a little" there was a moment of silent until.. "I just wanted to say you look the same Joyce" Max said and thankfully changed the conversation. "Like I'm still a waitress at the Two Whales after all these years?" "No, like you still look pretty" "Nice save kid. You're still smart." She looked down and turned her happy and bright smile into a frown "But not that smart, Now you get busted for smoking pot. But it's nice to see that you stick up for Chloe like a best friend should. I know you to well to say it wasn't really yours Max. But I'm assuming that's where Cody here stepped in and got that nasty slap?" wow she's good at guessing. Or.. She's got an amazing history with Max, Which she does. "uh-huh, But it's fine, really." I replied. "If you say so kid. But I'm sorry that this is how you two had to meet him. He's a good man. No matter what Chloe says." "I'm sorry though Joyce. Guess it wouldn't have happened if I'd stayed out of it." Max said while looking down at the table, probably feeling guilty. "It's not your fault though Max. You did what you thought was right, and I'm proud Chloe has friends that will help her out." Joyce said while placing a hand on Max's shoulder to get Max to look up into her eyes and see that she was okay with what happened and doesn't blame Max for it. "Damn right we will." I said, trying to help out in any way I can.

There was another awkward moment of silence, And the weird thing is that Chloe still hasn't come out of the bathroom. It's been about 5 minutes, I'm hoping she ain't blazing it out in there. After a few more awkward seconds of silence Max spoke "I know things must've been hard when I left. On you and Chloe. Now my folks are in Seattle and I'm all alone at Blackwell. It's my karma." "You did the right thing Max. You moved forward with your life. Like I did when William passed on. But Chloe.. Chloe chose to stay angry." I assume this William guy was Chloe's dad, and Joyce's Husband. I wonder what happened to him. Kinda reminds me of my own dad, but what doesn't remind me of him these days?.."Joyce I'm so sorry about William. I have great memories of him." "I'm glad Max, that was his gift to us. Wonderful memories. Even if Chloe doesn't understand yet." "She understands, she just needs..Time. I know that must suck for you." Came Max's reply. "Oh she hit all the phases. Expulsion, running away, drugs, bad boys, tattoos, piercings, blue hair." "Not gonna lie, but the last one makes her bad-ass. Kinda glad that one DID happen. eh sorry just got lost in my thoughts." I said, realising what I just said about Chloe's awesome blue hair. "No, No it's alright. It's nice to see that Chloe has begun to take interest in guys like you Cody. Maybe you could be the key to her happiness. You too Max." oh good, I'm glad I didn't just mess things up by letting myself speak my thoughts. "Alright, Alright. Let's get down to the nitty gritty. What would you both like?" Joyce asked. "The last good Belgian Waffle I had was here when I was thirteen years old. So, bring it on." Max replied. "Yeah that sounds good enough for me too thanks." I added, sending a smile in Joyce's direction. "Okay. Two belgian waffles coming right up. Now you two finish your coffee." And with that she walked behind the counter and shouted into the kitchen our orders. 

Chloe came out the bathroom soon after Max and I made our orders. "Hey it's been 9 minutes, what took you so long?" I asked as she sat next to me. "Uh, girl problems. Ya know what I mean..?" she replied. "Yeah, yeah I know what you mean." I said. I looked at Chloe and saw she looked somewhat upset about something but I don't know what. I also didn't want to pry her to tell me if there was something wrong so I decided to drop it and just wait for my food to arrive.

words - 1103