Chapter 8

Soon after Chloe came back from the bathroom, Joyce returned to our booth with Max and I's food. "Ah speak of the devil. Didn't know you was here Chloe." Joyce said. "Mum and Max, together again. Whenever you're both together you always talk about me, guessing that's what happened while I was gone." she looked at me "Uh, yeah pretty much.." I said sending a smile in Chloe's direction while rubbing the back of my neck nervously. Why am I so nervous? Probably just because of some of the things that was said. I said, more like it. "Oh so you're apart of it too Travanos?" "Maybe, maybe not" Joyce looked at us and smiled as she placed Max and I's food on the table. Max began eating it in silence while I took little bites here and there. "Oh and Chloe looking for a free meal. You've put your whole damn college fund on your tab." Max looked up at Joyce and smiled. "I'm treating Chloe for breakfast" Max said. "Are you atoning for yesterday?" Joyce asked in a somewhat serious tone. "Oh god Mum, please don't give Max any more shit for that. She apologised." Chloe defended Max. "I know she did. Max is a good gir-- Woman. She's eighteen now." Joyce replied. "Too old to get lectures from you or Sgt. Pepper" Chloe said. "Call him David if you don't want to be lectured. You only get one damn slice of bacon today." Joyce said raising her voice a little towards the end. With that said she walked behind the counter and walked into the kitchen. "You guys are still the same.." Max said. "Another reason to blow this town" Chloe replied. I just sat there eating my Belgian Waffle, until the plate was clean. Soon after I started digging into my food, Chloe received her food from her mum, and she ate it as slow as it came..

"What is this shit on the Jukebox?" Chloe said breaking the silence that filled us as we all ate. She got up and changed the music to something she likes and started bobbing her head to it as she sat back down next to me. "Now that's out of the way.." Chloe trailed of as she looked at Max with a mischievous grin. "Lets talk about your superpower." Chloe finished. "This is happening so fast.." Max exclaimed looking back up at Chloe and I. "We'll start slow. Right here. Right now." Chloe reassured Max, but in a demanding way, curious to find out how it works and if it's real, And I'd be lying if I said I wasn't curious at all. "I can tell you both every single thing you have in your pockets" Max said, again looking between Chloe and I. "You have x-ray vision, dude? I don't even know what's in my pockets. Let me see..." Chloe took a moment to check her pockets, as I did the same. "Okay Max, impress me!" Chloe said. "I don't know.." Max replied. "Wait, you don't know? I thought you said you could tell us what we had in our pockets. What a great lie." I said a little annoyed that Max would get our hopes up like that. "Do you have some kind of power or not?" Chloe said sounding equally as annoyed as I do. "Okay, Psychic Girl, let me show you what's actually in my pockets." Chloe pulled her items out of her pockets and put them on the table. There was cigarettes, a parking ticket, a panda key-chain and some change. I also put my items on the table. I didn't have a lot, only 7 dollars and my phone with a green case. "That was beyond epic fail. You even made me want to believe you.." Max looked at the items for a long time. I wonder why? there's nothing special about the-- -Rewinding time-

"So this is me telling you what's inside your pockets" Max said, smiling and looking confident. "Okay Max, i'm hella ready." Chloe replied. "Your car keys!" Max said. Wow who would've guessed that!? I mean she drives a truck, what she use to start up the ignition, a carrot? waaaay to obvious.. "Duh, way too easy! I need details. Describe my key-chain.." Ha Chloe agrees with me! "A cute panda key-chain!" Max said. Chloe looked and nodded "Not bad Super Max!" Max still looked pretty smug as she continued to grin at us. "You do have that Irish luck, Caulfield. What else?" Chloe asked. "I'm pretty sure you have cigarettes on you." Max replied. "Yes, you know I'm a smoker. But how many cigarettes?" ooh, maybe Max has a power that allows her to count cigarettes. "Seven cigarettes" Came Max's reply. "A superpower that allows you to count cigarettes. Cool!"Chloe said. Wow even Chloe thinks so. Cool! "Some money." Max said out of the blue. "Clearly I'm rich as fuck-- How much do I have?" Chloe asked Max. "Eighty-six cents" she replied. I looked over at Chloe as she once again checked "That's right, living large in Arcadia Bay!" "What else?" I asked. "A Parking ticket" Max replied. "You know me well. But..what was the exact time I got busted?" Chloe asked. "Ten thirty-four AM" Max replied with that same smug grin on her face. Chloe checked her items putting them all onto the table and staring at Max in awe and shock. "Boo yah! Max can tell time!" she said sounding enthusiastic and completely convinced that Max had superpowers. "Now Cody. You have 7 dollars, and your phone with a plain green phone case on." Max said looking at me with that same smug grin. I pulled the items out of my pockets and put them on the table. I stared at the objects, then at Max and shared a shocked look with Chloe. "Holy shit.." I said. "Amazeballs. I literally just got chills all over my neck. did you Cody?" Chloe said as she nudged me. "Uh-huh.." Was all I could reply with, Still in shock from what just happened. "You have powers..." Chloe said in disbelief. "Take that crap off the table, Chloe." Joyce said walking over to our booth. She smiled. "Sure, mom." Came Chloe's reply with a 'groan' at the end to show how annoyed she was to be bossed around. "Now how was the food?" Joyce asked. "Better than I remembered" Max replied. "Very good save." Joyce said. "Best food I've ever tasted!" I said, still with my eyes wide open in shock, trying to put on a smile towards Joyce. "Well I'm glad." Came Joyce's reply. "I was hungry like a wolf!" Chloe said. "We could tell..." Max and I said in unison, giving each other a grin afterwords.