New Hybrids

Even though we know that this Abigail and Jackson are siblings, we still have no way to track her down. But Jackson wanted to make sure that she hadn't attacked any other cities or safe zones, so he brought up on of the news stations. I had been looking over Logan's test results for about 15 minutes, at this point I know that there is no chance they're wrong, but I keep hoping that someone missed something.

As I finally give up and set the tablet down I hear the news anchor switch from story to story, "Wisconsin, Illinois and Michigan, where the Federal government authorized Reiden Global to quarantine children under 12. Reiden Global CEO Leanne Ducovny defended the action, comparing it to this country's own history of a military draft as a civic duty. In other news, investigators have linked a deadly explosion at an NYPD precinct to a similar tragedy at a refugee camp in Portland. Authorities are searching for this woman, Abigail Westbrook, a person of interest in the investigation."

Jackson sighs, "who also happens to be my sister."

Logan shrugs, "wanted on 23 counts, from impersonating a federal agent to using weapons of mass destruction. Twice."

"Any luck tracing that phone call she made?" I look over to Logan.

Logan shakes his head, "no, she's very good at covering her tracks."

"Do we know anything else? Like how she's connected to the hybrids?"

"You two can ask Abigail yourselves when we arrest her."

"Any idea where she is? 'Cause I'm not sure about asking her questions, but I need to hit something. Preferably one Abigail Westbrook."

"I plastered her photo at airports, train stations and the border. Chopper's on standby. You guys know this area better than anybody, so, the moment that we do get a hit on her, I'm hoping that you'll come with."

I sigh, but before I can protest I look over to Jackson, who looks as though he's seen a ghost, "Jackson, you okay?"

Jackson takes a breath and looks over to me, "yeah. Just tired."

I smile softly over to him and nod, "yeah." I sigh as I head over to the bedroom, hopefully we will get a little sleep before we do anything else. But I really don't want anything to do with Reiden or Robert Oz's work ever again. Before too long I fall asleep, before Jackson comes in. When he does he wakes me slightly, but I'm too tired to comment. But he doesn't lay down, instead he sits on the edge of the bed. I don't wake up again until Jackson's phone goes off. When it does he leaves the room before answering it.

When I get up I head into the main room and over to Logan and Jackson, "what's going on? Do we have a lead on Abigail?"

"Change of plans. We need to find a hybrid first," Jackson and I quickly grab what we need and head out with Logan. Once we hit the road, Logan and Jackson start talking.

"I recalibrated the GPS to track the frequency Abe gave me."

Logan nods and clicks away on his tablet, "I've got an IADG surveillance satellite here. What am I looking for?"

Jackson sighs, "thermal imaging. All right, as far as I can tell, this hybrid is part rhinoceros, part Pleistocene woolly mammoth."

"As in, part prehistoric?"

I nod, "mh-mm, as in woolly rhino."

"It's like that saber-toothed cat, huh?"

Jackson shrugs, "if they're anything like regular rhinos, they'll sleep under thick brush. So let's start there."

I take a deep breath, "never knew something so big could be a needle in a haystack."

After we drive for a little while longer and start up a hill Jackson chuckles, "looks like we found our needle."