Chapter 9 - I don't have a small degree of charm.

The path was narrow, and because the Dwarves were all quite broad, they had to push quite a bit. I could tell that after half an hour, they were already annoyed to the point of giving up. The only problem being, we couldn't really go back. Not that I wanted to. I could feel the magic radiating from the very walls. This was the secret entrance to Rivendell.

Rivendell... I hadn't been there in nearly twenty five centuries.
I remembered how I would join my parents and brother when we were younger. Legolas and I always sought out Lindir, who was about Legolas's age, and we would fool around like the mischievous little Elflings that we were. A happy memory struck me.

-~-

I was sitting on one of the stone beams of the hallway adjoining the meeting room in the palace. I had a vase of water in my hands. Legolas and Lindir were on lookout for our fathers.
They said that I had to empty the vase over uncle Elrond's and ada's heads, but I had different plans. I had sat there for over hour and my butt was starting to hurt. Suddenly I saw Legolas and Lindir running down the hall. They were about halfway when I saw our fathers round the corner.
Elrond spotted me immediately. We grinned at eachother and then I winked. Well, blinked more like, but you get the idea. He did anyway.

When Legolas and Lindir were almost under my beam, I emptied the vase, drenching them in water. Then I jumped to the next beam and dropped down, sprinting at my father and quickly climbing his robes until I was sat on his arm as he held me.
I then looked behind me to see Legolas and Lindir running up to us, dripping water everywhere.
They halted infront of us. Lindir took a look at his father and then down at his wet clothes.
"Father?"
"Yes, my son?"
"Do you know how much I love you?"
"Well, I might-" Before he could finish his sentence, Lindir squeezed him in a tight, wet hug. Legolas took his example and hugged our father.

Both dads were wet as well now. After a few minutes of laughter, Thranduil spoke.
"Kahlahari is the only one who is still dry, do you know what I think?"
"Group hug!" Legolas yelled exitedly.
"Nooo!!!" I wriggled free of my father's embrace and bolted down the hall.
I found my mother walking around the garden and shot under her dress. "What are you doing, little fawn?" She asked in an amused tone.
"I'm not here!" I informed her in my tiny voice. She laughed.
I heard footsteps coming our way. "My love, have you seen Kahlahari?" Dad asked. He probably heard me giggling, as he chuckled as well. Mother burst out laughing. "She's not here," She managed to say between laughs.
"Then she wouldn't mind this," He and my mother went on to make very exaggerated kissing sounds. Now that I think back on it, I don't think they were actually kissing.
"Eeheew! Father!" I exclaimed, before clasping my hand to my mouth. Now both of them were laughing again. I dove out from under mother's dress.

Right into the arms of a waiting Elrond, who slung me over his shoulder and carried me to the fountain.

-~-

Needless to say, I was soaked that evening. I smiled at the memory when I felt a tug on my cloak.

"Hm? What?"
"We still want to know who you really are. Or your real name at least. Dawn doesn't sound all that Elvish," Kili said, more curious than angry. I wish I could say the same for Thorin. The rest of them also seemed to be a bit mad, or just disappointed but it was like Thorin took personal offense.
"Erm, will you promise not to kill me?"
Thorin considered for a moment before he nodded curtly.

I drew a deep breath. "I didn't lie about my name. I just translated it. My given name is Kahlahari, daughter of Thranduil, I used to be the princess and general of Mirkwood, but I was banished about seven decades ago," I didn't want to talk about it for as long as I had when I told them about my misadventures as a Wizard.
No one said anything, and I tried to hide in my hood.
"Why did you get banished?" asked Bilbo. He already knew of course, but he must have thought that the company knowing the details might work in my favour.

"I seem to have problem with authority. I called Thranduil a traitor for not honouring the allegiance and aiding your people in your flight when you lost Erebor. It feels right to help with reclaiming it."
"The flight was indeed terrible, we were there," explained Balin, who also wasn't that angry. "Some of us." He had probably guessed sooner than the duel, but had chosen not to tell anyone.
"I am truly sorry about the way we just stood there and did nothing."
"So you're just doing this to annoy your dad?" Fili asked, unimpressed.
"If I wanted to defy him I would have married a Dwarf decades ago," I huffed at him. "I am doing this because I genuinely want to help you."

The silence that fell was quite awkward. I could feel Thorin's angry glare burning through the back of my head. The rest seemed to be either indifferent or fine with it, which is much better I had hoped for. They were way more accepting than Gandalf had warned me for, and for that, I was very grateful. I just wish Thorin was that accepting too.

-~-

The evening light spilled through the wide crack in the roof. I could feel the magic of Rivendell very strongly now. It was very welcoming.

Bilbo looked around in amazement. He seemed to sense it as well. "Gandalf, where are we?" I heard him ask.
"You can feel it?" Gandalf asked incredulously.
"Yes, it feels like- well, like magic," he did such a poor job explaining it that I grinned to myself.
"Well, that is exactly what it is, my friend. A very powerful magic," I also did a poor job explaining, Bilbo looked confused.

"There is light ahead," reported Dwalin. We must be getting close now. I was getting excited, which couldn't possibly be very strategic at all. If Thorin saw me exited to visit an Elvish settlement, he might just leave there and I did not want that.
Gandalf sqeezed past to take the lead as we neared the end of the tunnel. We finally reached the end and we poured out onto a ridge that looked over the valley.
There lay Rivendell, gleaming in the golden light of sunset. Bilbo looked amazed at the sight of it. Just wait until I show you the gardens Bilbo.
"The valley of Imladris. In the common tongue, it is known by another name," Gandalf narrated.
"Rivendell," Bilbo finished for him. He looked pleased. The Dwarves however, looked very displeased.
"Here lies the last homely house east of the sea," Gandalf continued.

Thorin wheeled around to face Gandalf, steam just about coming out of his ears. "This was your plan all along, to seek refuge with our enemy."
"You have no enemies here, Thorin Oakenshield. The only ill-will to be found in this valley is that which you bring yourself," Gandalf had clearly had enough of Thorin for one day.
"You think the Elves will give our quest their blessing? They will try to stop us!" Thorin argued.

"I give this quest my blessing," I muttered just loud enough them to hear.
"I don't think you count," Kili whispered.
"If I don't count as an Elf then what's the point being angry about me being one? " I whispered back.
"Have you finished?" Gandalf interrupted us.
"Yes, of course, carry on with your argument."
He rolled his eyes and turned back to Thorin. "Of course they will try to stop us. But we have questions that need to be answered. If we are to be succesful, this will need to be handled with tact and respect and no small degree of charm, which is why you leave all the talking to me, and Kahlahari."

"It's Dawn, and tact and respect aren't really my forte," I tried to weasel my way out of diplomacy.
"Neither is charm," snickered Kili. I rammed him in the side with my elbow. He fell over. "Well, it's not yours either my friend," I teased as I didn't help him up.
Gandalf looked at me sternly and led us down to the gate.