Chapter 21 - Dawn used puppy eyes, its not very effective.

We slept in the master's house for the remainder of the night. This was the first real bed I'd slept on since Rivendell and though it was not as comfortable, I slept very well.
The following morning, we were led down to the main docks, where a boat was waiting for us. We were fully decked in weapons and clean clothing. I got little armor by request, only bracers and a leather chest piece that was more substantial than a corset. Furthermore, I got clothing warmer than I was previously wearing. Which wasn't very hard in my case. I hadn't been smart enough to go journeying with more than one shirt and the one I had wouldn't even be a good cleaning rag anymore.

The shirt I got was long sleeved and fur-lined. It also had a leather plate at the front to prevent bespearment. Instead of a loose corset, I got an extra belt where I could house the daggers that used to be in my boots. Speaking of which, my new ones were also fur-lined and comfortable. I kept the cloak that I got from Bard. In contrast to the Dwarves, I didn't receive a lot of weapons. Only a sword, I already had the rest. We all looked quite regal.

"Dawn, you must stay here," Thorin said as I was about to board the boat.
"And why is that?" I asked him. Slight anger bubbling in my chest already, but it was overwhelmed by my surprise.
"You're wounded and you've lost a lot of blood, you'll slow us down."
"I've nearly completely recovered already and I did not go with you all this way, to not enter Erebor," I said stubbornly as I hopped into the boat, grabbing an oar. "Now get your royal butt in the boat, your highness." I feigned a curtesy which made the boat wobble.

I only used his title when I was cross with him. I don't know why, I felt it held a certain power. Thorin got in the boat with a grumble and everyone started paddling. We waved at the people of Lake town until we were out of range. I put down my oar and did what I had been longing to do for a few days. I placed my hand over the wound and started chanting the healing spell for open wounds. I gritted my teeth against the pain as it grew closed, and sighed in relief when it was done. I traced the white scar with my fingers before I realised we were on schedule and began rowing again. Oin looked at me expectantly. "Officially unfucked," I smiled. The pain was gone, I could see well again and I didn't feel dizzy anymore. The bloodloss would right itself very soon too. Elven anatomy didn't allow for rapid bloodloss so as compensation it comes back very quickly. You can lose a near fatal amount and be fine in a matter of two days. Relatively speaking.

Very soon, the ruins of Dale came into view. The giddy feeling from healing myself went away when I saw the ghost of the city I used to visit often.
"What is this place?" asked Bilbo, who was also looking at it.
"It was once the city of Dale. Now it is a ruin. The desolation of Smaug," Balin told him.
"I used to come here quite often, before Smaug destroyed it," I said. "Closest I was allowed to get to Erebor."
"Which you completely ignored if I remember correctly," Balin chuckled.
"Up until father dearest caught me at the forges playing around with swords instead of being the intimidating Elven general that I was supposed to be three times in a row, yes."

-~-

Getting into Erebor was quite easy. The guards at the gate knew who I was and that my father was here too. I never really had to state my business because of my title. They would have assumed I was on official business.

Boy, were they wrong.

The real art of having a good time was evading my father and his entourage on their diplomatic visit while I made my way to the forges and forge markets. I knew the quickest route to it by heart now, but it still took me some time because I had to be on the lookout for my kin. I would have stood out if there weren't a few humans also making their way to the market.

While I waited behind a barrel until the whole royal party had passed, I overheard two Dwarven ladies talking about the king's newborn grandson. Apparently, everyone was allowed to come see him, even us.
I had never seen a baby Dwarf before, and while I'm sure he would have been adorable, there were swords to be messed around with at the forges. I was sure I wouldn't regret it one bit a hundred and twenty or so years later.