Chapter 25 - Thorin and I are a thing now. Oh, hi dad!

"Begone! Ere arrow fly!"

I smacked myself in the face with a too powerful attempt at a face palm. "Thorin, you are outnumbered, you... bloody idiot!" I told him off.

"Not for long."
I groaned in frustration at the stubbornness of this man. Not to say I wasn't headstrong myself, I could almost compete with Dwarves on that front. The almost in the situation being very infuriating.
I whipped around and walked back up the balcony on the gate, Thorin followed.
"What are you doing? You cannot go to war!" Bilbo exclaimed.

"This does not concern you," Thorin brushed him off. I was done giving lectures about how going to war against a fairly large army and no small amount of angry Dragon survivors was not a great plan.
Luckily Bilbo had enough sense to do it himself. "Excuse me, but in case you haven't noticed, there's an army of Elves out there." He raised his voice while pointing out to Dale. "And not to mention several hundred angry fisherman. We- we are in fact, outnumbered." Bilbo used the same arguments I had, but a bit more descriptive.
Thorin had the audacity to smile at Bilbo. "Not for much longer."

Bilbo was as confused as I was angry. "What does that mean?"
"It means, master Baggins, that you should never underestimate Dwarves." Thorin turned to the rest of us. "We have reclaimed Erebor, now we defend it."
"By declaring war on those who bid you to honour your word?" I questioned rhetorically. I didn't expect an answer and I didn't get one. Thorin walked down the steps. Bilbo and Balin looked at each other in distress.

The other Dwarves decapitated a large stone statue. Its falling head broke down the bridge that still existed between the rest of Middle-Earth and Erebor. So much for diplomacy.
"Congratulations, you just decapitated your great-grandfather." I threw my hands up in frustration at the fact that Thorin thought that was going to help with keeping the Elves out. They'd just need to wait a few weeks at this point, as far as they knew. Without a bridge, we can't get food or water in here.
"You don't look all too happy," Bofur told me.
"I don't? That's strange, this is the best day of my life," I answered sarcastically. I followed him to the armoury. "I am a bit worried, is all. The army that has only let me down once is getting ready kill us."
"And the only time they let you down was..."
"Here, seven decades back, yes."
"Fun."
There was a vast amount of dusty armour. All of it was too heavy and none of it fit. I gave up on armour and accepted the fact that I was going to be the first to die. I grabbed the nearest sword and stuck it under my belt, as it had no sheath. As I walked back to the balcony, I took a dagger from my belt and hid it where I could easily pull out of my sleeve if need be. I sat on the broad railing of the balcony and watched as my kin readied themselves for war against us.

I heard Thorin walk up behind me.
"My father just wants the necklace, don't you think we should just give it to him? He'd leave and we'd only have to deal with an army of angry fishermen, who will likely not go through with it once my kin leave," I asked him in a monotone voice. I still tried to make him see sense, but only half-heartedly. I knew what his answer was going to be. "We gave the people of Lake Town our word. If you won't honour yours, at least let me honour mine and put an end to this."
"I am grateful that you gave your word, it was nobly done." Thorin moved his hands through my hair. "But this treasure will not leave Erebor. I will not part with a single coin, not one piece of it." Thorin's voice sounded nearly exactly like Smaug's at the last part. It scared me, but I didn't want Thorin to know it did, so I kept my back turned to him.
"The Elves are a formidable army. I've commanded them on more than one occasion and never lost a war with them at my side. You really don't want to be where their arrows are aimed."
"They don't have you now. Don't worry, the mountain will not be breached."
It wasn't the mountain or the treasure I was worried about. What happened to you?