Chapter 10 - Kili's not gay, I think.

I saw Lindir walk down the staircase at the gate to greet us. I pulled my hood lower over my head. "Don't like him?" teased Fili.
"Maybe she does like him, and that is why she hides herself," Kili went on.
"I haven't seen him in millenia."
That baffled them. "How old are you?" Kili asked. "Lost count, somewhere around 253 decades, so I was only a child when I last saw him."
"Oh 253, that's not that ol- wait, decades?" Fili didn't seem to be able to wrap his head around it. I knew I was about the same age Durin V would be if he was still alive. I also knew that Durin V was very distant forefather of Fili, Kili and Thorin. I laughed bit. "I guess most Elves look younger than they are to anyone who isn't an Elf."

When we were finally down on the little square infront the gate, Lindir was descending the final steps.
"Mithrandir," he greeted with a smile.
"Ah, Lindir," Gandalf replied. As they greeted eachother, the Dwarves murmured their mistrust. I rolled my eyes and went over to Gandalf and Lindir.
"You've grown," I informed the latter as I took my hood off.
"And you're still short," he said before he even looked at me.
"Shut up. I'm taller than this lot," I indicated the Dwarves.
"By a head, they are Dwarves. Shortie."
"I'm a very respectable almost-six feet. It's not my fault you Elves are all six and a half or taller."
"You're an Elf too, and I can rest my chin on your head."
"Still shut up. I will punch you in the stomach if you try it."

Gandalf coughed into his hand to remind us he was still there. "I must speak with Lord Elrond," he informed Lindir.
"My Lord Elrond is not here."
I jumped when horns suddenly started blaring. "Ah, now he is." When I turned around I saw armed horse riders coming into the courtyard. They circled around the Company who drew their weapons.
"You're scaring them, slow down," I said sarcastically. Lindir stifled a laugh.
They slowed down to a halt. Elrond rode over to us. "Gandalf!" he greeted. When he dismounted his horse, he and Gandalf embraced in a hug.

Lindir decided to skip over their greeting. "So where have you been these past two millennia?" he asked me.
"Oh, you know me. Ran around the forest, caused some trouble. Became the general of Mirkwood. Got banished. Became a wizard. Got fired. Living the high life."
"That's not how I know you at all. Puberty changed you," he smirked.
"I hit puberty more than 245 decades ago!" I retorted.

"If the the two of you are quite done flirting like Elflings," Elrond interrupted us. He wrapped his arms around me and lifted me up into a hug. He said it in the common tongue to embarrass me. I just knew it. He also rested his chin on my head. I didn't punch him though.
Over his shoulder I could see Thorin glaring at Lindir in... was that jealousy?
"I wasn't flirting," I mumbled into Elrond's chest before I returned the embrace. When he had sufficiently broken my ribs, Elrond broke the embrace. He pulled a throwing knife out of his robe. "I take it this is yours?"
It was the dagger I had put between the Warg's eyes. "It is, thank you, uncle."
He took both of my upper arms in his hands and at gave me a friendly smile. "You've grown," he told me.
I smirked over my shoulder at Lindir. "See?" He rolled his eyes and pinched his fingers together to show me it was only a little.

Thorin stepped up and tried to pull me back to the Company by my wrist.
Elrond didn't seem to realise as he greeted Thorin, not with a hug this time. "Welcome Thorin, son of Thrain."
Thorin let go of my arm. "I do not believe we have met."
"You have your grandfather's bearing. I knew Thror when he ruled under the mountain," Elrond explained.
"He made no mention of you." I kicked Thorin's foot. 'Behave' I mouthed, but Elrond ignored Thorin's insult as he turned to the rest of the company.

"Light the fires, bring forth the wine. We must feed our guests."
The Dwarves didn't know what to make of this. They gripped their weapons uneasily. Gloin stepped forward, raising his axe. "What is he saying? Does he offer us insult?"
"Not unless you think being offered food is insulting," I shrugged.
The Dwarves circled, discussing what to do in whispers.
"We can hear every word you're saying," I called.
Kili flipped me off, I walked up behind him and pulled his leg out from underneath him, making him fall. I then took his place in the circle. "Are you done? I'm hungry," I whined.