Chapter 17 - Kili is not a lesbian, I think, but I might be.

Legolas looked at me in even more confusion now. "Sunrise?"
"How many short Elves who call you their brother do you know?"
"It has been over seventy years, I haven't heard a whisper of your existence and you greet me by throwing a knife at me?"

I was about to answer when I was cut off by scream from Kili. "Help!"
"Kili!" Fili shouted. He was being dragged away by a spider with more spiders surrounding him.
Then the one dragging Kili died with an arrow sticking out of its head before I could even grab my bow. I looked for the shooter and saw a red headed Elf run through the trees, shooting and flinging knives at the other spiders.
I recognised her, it was Tauriel, Legolas's childhood crush I wouldn't let him hear the end of. She was quite a bit younger than me and had been my second in command back when I was still a general. I always tried to help the two of them get together by being Legolas's wingman but nothing ever came of it.

I smirked at him.
"Shut up."
"But I haven't said anything yet," I teased.
"You were going to."
"I would never."
"Search them," Legolas ordered once Kili had been returned to the group. Judging by his reaction, he was still in no luck on the Tauriel department.
The patrol's searching was so thorough that the soldier searching me found a dagger I had forgotten about.
"What have you done to your hair?" Legolas asked me, plucking some webbing out of it and admiring the braidwork.
I shrugged. "It had to go, kept getting stuck."
Legolas gave me a look of suspicion but didn't say anything as he moved to searching Thorin.

Kili tapped my shoulder, a deep blush on his cheek. "Hey, um, I wanted to know if... is that one... female?" he asked awkwardly, referring to Tauriel.
"She is, her name is Tauriel. Good fighter, better friend. But I'd watch it if I were you, you've got competition," I teased nodding to Legolas. I knew full well he could hear me so I added: "Misses every shot he takes though."
Legolas glared at me over his shoulder. In his face I read 'Remind me to gut you later.' I grinned at him.
"Hey, I tried. It's not my fault." He looked a bit pissy and looked away again.

"Are the spiders dead?" he asked Tauriel.
"Yes, but more will come, they're growing bolder."
I watched as one member of the patrol pulled two Elvish daggers out of Fili's coat. I recognized them. "Hey, those are mine! How did you get them?" I demanded.
He gave me an innocent smile.
Nice try. Not on me though.
I crossed my arms and raised an eyebrow. "Kili and I had a bet going on to see how many knives I could steal before you noticed," he said, still grinning.
"Well, two, as it turns out."
"Three, actually," the soldier searching Fili corrected me.
I raised my other eyebrow and Fili chuckled.
"Once I get my weapons back, I am going to hang your heads above my fireplace," I told Fili.
The soldier held out one my blades while continuing to search Fili.
"Friend, what fireplace?" I asked him.

"This is an ancient Elfish blade, forged by my kin," I heard Legolas say behind me. "Where did you get this?" he asked Thorin.
"It was given to me."
"Not just a thief, but a liar as well," concluded Legolas wrongly. "Take them!"
"Your sister as well?"
Legolas turned to me. "Are you with them?" he asked, as if it wasn't clear enough.
"No, I have just been very carefully avoiding you all for seventy years."
"Yes, her too!"

-~-

We were led to the palace. Past my father, who was on the throne. I waved at him. The look on his face was worth more than all the treasure of Erebor.
We were pushed into cells. There weren't enough empty ones for all of us, so we were split into small groups. I got one with Thorin. Legolas looked less than pleased at that, but there weren't any other places I could go that he would be more pleased with.

"Legolas!" I called after him as he strode off. He looked at me over his shoulder. "I'll want my weapons back when we escape."
"If," he corrected me.
"When," I returned the favour.