(7)The girl in the attic

The girl in the attic

Chapter 7

Preston's POV

It took me a few seconds to snap out of my thoughts and get back to helping her. It looked like she was still sleeping so I quickly ran downstairs to the kitchen to find her something to eat and drink. I found a tin of instant soup, threw it in a bowl and put it in the microwave. While the soup was heating up I made her a cup of herbal tea. When the soup was warm and the tea done I hurried back upstairs and placed it on my bedside table.

She looked so peaceful laying there but I knew I had to wake her. She needed medicine for her fever and she needed to eat before she took it. I sat down on the bed next to her and shook her gently. It didn't work, she moaned softly but continued to sleep.

"Hey, you've got to wake up now," I said shaking her a bit harder this time. Her eyes fluttered open and focused on me. At first she looked confused and I could swear she was about to scream and jump out of the bed but then the expression on her face changed to one of recognition.  

"I made you some soup, you need to eat it so that I can give you something for your fever," I said softly not wanting to scare her anymore then what she already was. I took the soup from my bedside table and handed it to her. She looked hesitant at first but then grabbed it out of my hands.  

"Thank you," she said weakly as she started gulping down the soup.

I sat there staring at her like an idiot as she ate. I knew she hasn't eaten much in a while by the way her bones stuck through her skin but it still took me by surprise as she finished the bowl of soup within a minute or two. When she was done I took the plate from her and placed it on my bedside table again.

"Here you go, its herbal tea," I said handing her the cup. She took it greedily this time and brought it up to her lips immediately.  

"I'll be right back," I told her getting up from the bed and walking to my bathroom. I got her some tablets that would help with the pain and fever and some water in the glass I kept in my bathroom. I was sure her tea would be finished by the time I got back to her.

As I entered the room I was surprised to see the girl standing at my window trying to open it. I placed the water and tablets on my dresser and walked over to her.  

"Do you need some fresh air or are you trying to run away from me again?" I asked taking her by surprise. I didn't mean to frighten her but she jumped backwards and almost fell over her own feet when she heard my voice.

"I... I have to go," she said looking nervous.  

"No you don't, you have to concentrate on getting better or you are going to wind up in a hospital whether you like it or not," I told her.  

"Please, I can't be here," she said pleadingly.  

"Why not? I'm not going to hurt you, I'm trying to help you."  

"And I really appreciate that but if they catch me here...," she said stopping in mid sentence.  

"Nobody is going to find out you're here, I'll lock my door and I won't tell anybody". 

"You'll do that for me?" She asked looking confused at my generosity.  

"Yes, now will you please sit down and take the medicine I got for you?" I questioned but it came out more like a demand. She looked frightened but walked over to my bed and sat down anyway.

I took the pills and water from my dresser and handed it to her as I sat down on the bed with her. I made sure to keep a good distance between us figuring I didn't want to scare her again. She took the water and pills from me, swallowed them and handed me back the glass after she gulped up the water. I took it from her wondering when last she actually had something to eat or drink.

"What's your name?" I questioned figuring it was time I started trying to find out who she was. She began answering me but changed her mind and kept quiet.  

"I promised I won't tell anybody that you're here, I just want to know what to call you," I said trying to convince her to tell me her name. How was I ever going to figure out who she was and what was going on if she didn't even want to tell me her name?  

"Katie," she replied nervously.  

"Katie, that's a nice name," I said smiling gently at her.  

"My name is Preston and I'm a friend so you don't have to be scared of me ok?" I half stated half asked.  

"Ok."  

"Good, now would you like some more food?" I asked figuring she must still be hungry.  

"Yes please," she replied as her eyes lit up for the first time since I first saw her.