(36) The girl in the attic

The girl in the attic

Chapter 36

Preston’s POV

Over the weekend we went grocery shopping and I have to admit it was fun. I never imagined that shopping for toothpaste and milk could be fun but with Katie anything is possible. When we were satisfied that we had all the food and things that we needed we headed over to our apartment to pack it away.

On Sunday my aunt and uncle asked me to eat dinner with them and I asked them if I could invite a friend with who I would like them to meet. To my astonishment they agreed. Katie was very hesitant but I assured her that Lina wouldn’t say a word, she would lose her job if she did. It kind of felt like payback seeing the look on Lina’s face when she had to serve Katie.

Katie loosened up as dinner continued and actually had a conversation with my aunt and uncle. Nothing personal, but it was good to see her coming out of her shell. I even saw her give Lina a spiteful smile when nobody was looking. After dinner I pretended to take Katie home and then sneaked her back into my room.

We packed the last of our things and then got into bed deciding to get some sleep. We had a big and busy day ahead of us tomorrow. We woke up really early the next morning. We had to go drop off our stuff at the apartment and then I had to take Katie to the hospital and go to school. I wasn’t particularly looking forward to going back to school but I knew I had to do it. I wanted to go to college and get a proper job so that I could look after Katie and give her everything she deserves.

Once we were on our way Katie turned up the music and relaxed in her seat, she looked really excited.

“I was thinking that maybe I could get a job and do some sort of college course,” she said taking me by surprise but also making me very happy. I didn’t want her to have to work but the fact that she was looking forward to the future instead of just waiting to die gave me great pleasure.

“That’s a good idea, it will give you something to do while I’m at school but you don’t need to work. We’ll have some extra cash since we’re not going to be paying for the apartment,” I said smiling at her.

“But I don’t want to keep on taking your money, you’ve done enough for me,” she whispered sounding sad.

“I like doing things for you and anyway, you’re not taking my money I am giving it to you.” She didn’t look impressed so I continued, there was no way I was going to let her get a job until she was completely healthy.

“Ok, how about this? I’ll pay for your college classes and then when you qualify and become super rich you can pay me back,” I stated taking her hand in mine and holding it on my leg. She looked deep in thought before she answered.

“That’s a deal but there are a few conditions,” she stated looking much happier now.

“What?” I asked pretending to be scared. She laughed at me.

“Well, for one you are going to have to teach me to drive so that I can go to college, or the hospital or shopping when you are at school,” she said looking at me to see my reaction.

“Done,” I replied and watched as her smile grew bigger.

“Good, the second one is that you must stop worrying about me so much, I’m feeling much better now, I’m not going to break if you touch me or if I make you dinner,” she said looking a bit nervous.