(11)The girl in the attic

The girl in the attic

Chapter 11

Preston's POV

I snapped my head in the direction of the window and caught a glimpse of what I knew was Katie's hair. My heart almost leaped out of my chest as I realized what she just saw. What if she came back because she needed my help?

I pulled my arms away from Becky and lightly pushed her away from me as I ran to the window. I pulled it open and leaned out hoping I would see her but she wasn't there. I scanned the area outside to see if I could spot her but there was no sign of her running away. She couldn't have disappeared that fast, she had to be hiding somewhere and I had to find her. I turned around and was about to run out of the attic to find Katie when I remembered that Becky was still there.

She was watching me with a confused expression on her face.  

"What the hell was that?" She asked irritated.  

"I can't explain right now, you should go back to your room," I said walking past her. I really didn't have time to worry about her right now.

I made my way down the ladder and then headed outside to find Katie. I went out through the back door and started searching the yard. It was extremely dark outside and I was battling to see since I didn't have a torch. The wind was ice cold and chills ran down my body as I searched. I looked everywhere and was about to think I wasn't going to find her when I heard a whimpering sound.

"Katie?" I whispered not wanting to wake everybody inside. She didn't answer but I heard her sobbing and followed the noise. I could feel my body tensing up with every step I took. It sounded like she was in pain, I had to find her, she needed me.

I took a few more steps searching frantically when I saw her sitting pressed up against a tree. I quickly closed the space between us and fell down on the ground next to her.

"What's wrong?" I asked breathlessly as I tilted her head up so that she was looking at me.  

"Everything," she answered through her sobs and then did something I never expected in a million years. She reached out to me with her arms and I understood what she wanted immediately. I pulled her onto my lap and cradled her in my arms. She sobbed and whimpered and I felt my heart breaking for her. I didn't even know this girl, how could I possibly care so much about her?

I held her as tight as I dared, scared of hurting her, she looked so fragile and breakable. I don't know how long we sat like that but it didn't matter, I would hold her as long as she wanted me to. When she eventually stopped crying she looked up at me with the saddest eyes I have ever seen.  

"Sorry," she whispered and then tried moving off of my lap.  

"You don't have to apologize, its ok. Please just don't run away again, ok?" I questioned holding on to her so that she couldn't go anywhere.  

"Ok," she replied and I could feel her relax in my arms.

I moved my hand to her head to confirm my suspicion that her fever was back. She was burning up and looked seriously pale.

"Can I please take you to a hospital?" I asked already knowing the answer.  

"No, no hospitals please," she answered sounding so weak that I just wanted to pull her back into my arms and tell her that everything was going to be ok. I fought the urge not wanting to scare her again.  

"Ok, no hospitals but will you at least let me take care of you then?" I asked and I could see a glimpse of a smile form on her face.  

"Please, those pills you gave me really helped," she answered wiping away the last tears from her face.

I was really happy that Katie came back to me for help but this also caused a bit of a problem considering Devin was sleeping upstairs in my room. I had to get rid of them and quickly. I sat there wondering what I was going to do for a minute or so when I came up with a brilliant idea. It was about time I told Sarah that I didn't want to be with her anymore and then she will ask Devin to take her home and my problem will be solved. I just hope it works out that way.

"Come with me," I said getting up and helping Katie to her feet. She looked really weak so I scooped her up into my arms and carried her. I thought she was going to argue with me but she didn't, she actually looked thankful. I carried her into the house and to one of the spare bedroom making sure nobody saw us.

"Please stay here, I just have something I need to do and then I'll be back, ok?" I asked not really wanting to leave her alone.  

"Ok," she agreed sitting down on the bed.

I rushed out of the room and knocked on the door of the room Sarah and Becky was sleeping in. At first there was no answer but then I heard some scuffling inside and the door opened.

"Hey," Sarah said smiling at me sweetly.  

"Hey, I need to talk to you," I said seriously, I didn't have time for fooling around.  

"Oh, ok. Becky is awake, you can come in," she said opening the door and flicking on the light. Becky was sitting on the bed looking really irritated and for the first time I didn't find her attractive at all.

I didn't really want to break up with Sarah in front of Becky but like I said I didn't really have much time and to be honest I just wanted them out of here as soon as possible.

"So what do you want to talk about?" Sarah asked.  

"About us, I don't want to see you anymore," I replied before I could stop myself, it sounded a bit harsh but I'm sure she'll get over it.  

"You... you want to break up with me," She stated looking shocked as if she never thought it to be possible.  

"Yes," I said wanting to get it over with.  

"But why?" She questioned as if it didn't make any sense to her.  

"Because I don't love you," I replied honestly. A mixture of expressions crossed her face before she broke down in tears.  

"Fine! I'm leaving! I hate you!" She shouted as she stormed over to the bed and started throwing things into her bag as she sobbed.

"Is there somebody else?" Becky asked speaking for the first time since I entered the room. She had a sly smile on her face and I couldn't believe that I ever found her attractive.  

"Yes, there is," I replied looking directly at her. The smile on her face grew even bigger and I could see she was about to say something so I cut her off before she could.  

"I met her a few days ago when I moved in here, she's really pretty and sweet. It was love at first sight," I continued wiping the smile right off of her face. It looked like she wanted to throw a tantrum but surprisingly she managed to control herself.

"Come on, let's get out of here," she said to Sarah as she too started packing her things. I didn't feel like talking to them anymore so I left the room and went to mine. It didn't take long before there was a knock at the door.  

"Come in," I answered sitting on my bed and watching curiously. It was both Sarah and Becky. They just stood there for a second and them Sarah flipped on the light.  

"We want to go home," Sarah said as Becky glared at me, I swear if looks could kill I would be dead.  

"Good," I replied smiling at them and managing to make them even more irritated.

Becky woke Devin and told him that they wanted to go home right now. He looked confused and demanded that they explain to him exactly what was going on. Sarah told him the whole story making me sound like the lowest kind of creep on earth and finally got him to agree to take them home.