(24) The girl in the attic

The girl in the attic 

Chapter 24 

Preston's POV 

The nurse helped her into the wheelchair and I followed them out of the room and into the elevator. When we got to the waiting room the nurse pushed Katie to the reception desk and quickly spoke to the lady behind the counter before she took off. The woman handed Katie some release papers that she had to sign as well as a receipt. Katie signed the papers and then looked at the receipt nervously. I didn't even think about the payment for her stay at the hospital up until now, I was way too worried about her to care about anything else. 

I stepped closer to her and took the receipt out of her hand. The amount wasn't ridiculous so I quickly took my wallet out of my pocket and handed the woman my credit card. While the woman rang it up Katie looked at me with an unreadable expression on her face. I knew that she didn't like the fact that I was paying the hospital bill but what was I supposed to do? When the woman was done she handed me back my card and I signed her slip and handed it back to her. 

"Let's go home," I said taking a hold of the wheelchair but Katie stopped me before I could start pushing it. 

"I can walk," she said and I knew there was no reasoning with her once she has made up her mind so instead of arguing I held out my hand to her. To my surprise she took it and let me help her up. Once she was standing she moved her arm around my neck and I slipped mine around her waist so that I could keep her from falling in case she lost her balance. She looked a lot stronger then yesterday but I wasn't taking any chances. 

We walked over to my car and I helped her into the passenger seat before I walked around and got in behind the wheel. 

"Thank you," Katie whispered softly before I could start the car. I wanted to tell her that it wasn't a big deal, that I wanted to help her get better, that I would do anything for her because when she is around I feel better, that I wasn't going to let her die, but I just couldn't get the words out. Instead I nodded my head and started the car. There were so many things I wanted to tell her but I was scared, scared that nothing I say or do will be able to save her and scared that if I showed her my true feelings that I would scare her off and lose her forever. 

We drove in silence except for the faint sound of my stereo playing. I turned it down last night while driving to the hospital and not one of us bothered turning it up now. It was like we needed the silence to deal with our thoughts, to sort them out and decide what to do next. 

I knew my aunt and uncle would be gone by now but Lina would still be around so I pulled my car into the driveway and told Katie to hide while I went to go check where she was. I didn't find her in the house so I looked outside through one of the windows and saw that she was busy watering some flowers on the other side of the house. It was the perfect opportunity to sneak Katie into the house so I quickly ran to the car and helped her out. We sneaked into the house with me in the lead just in case Lina came in through the back door or something. We made it to my room without any problems and once we were inside I locked the door behind me feeling relieved. 

"Are you hungry?" I asked Katie as she walked over to my bed and sat down. 

"Yea but I don't know if I'll be able to eat anything," she answered looking at her hands. 

"You have to try though, I'm going to get some food. I'll be right back," I said not really wanting to leave her alone but I knew that she hasn't eaten anything since yesterday. They gave her food at the hospital but it just stood on the table in her room, she didn't even touch it. 

I hurried downstairs to the kitchen wondering what she would be able to eat and keep down. I made myself a quick sandwich throwing anything I could find on it and then I made her some instant soup hoping it would do the trick. I made my way up the stairs being careful not to spill the soup while wondering what I could do to make her feel better. When I got to my room Katie was still sitting on my bed where I left her and I couldn't help but feel relieved. Every time I left her alone I was scared that she would be gone when I got back. 

I walked over to her and sat down on the bottom of my bed. 

"I got you some soup," I said handing her the bowel. She lifted her eyes from her hands that was folded on her lap and looked at me for the first time since we got into the car. 

"Smell's good," she replied smiling weakly at me before taking it from me. Another wave of silence followed as we sat on my bed and ate. I finished my sandwich in record time and watched as she slowly ate her soup. She got about half way through the bowl when she put down the spoon and looked up at me. 

"I can't eat anymore or I'm going to be sick," she said looking at me for approval that it was ok to stop. 

"Ok, I'll get you some more later," I replied taking the bowl from her and placing it and my plate on the bedside table. 

"Do you want something to drink?" I questioned before sitting down again. She didn't answer but shook her head letting me know that she didn't. I would have gone and gotten her something warm like hot chocolate or something but since she didn't want anything I just grabbed one of the warm soda's that was still in the shopping bag on the floor. I opened it, took a few sips and placed it on my bedside table with the plates. 

I had to talk to her, I had to find out exactly was wrong with her so that I could help her. I just hoped she would finally open up to me and let me try to help her. I took a deep breath before sitting down on the bed again. This time I sat a bit closer, I took her hand from her lap and held it in mine. 

"Katie," I whispered softly wanting her to look at me. She stared down at her other hand for another second and then focused her eyes on mine. They were the most beautiful eyes I had ever seen but they were filled with so much pain and sadness that I had to look away to pull myself together. 

"What's wrong with you Katie? Please tell me so that I can help you," I asked pleadingly as I looked back into her sad eyes. 

I saw a shiver run through her body and the first sign of tears prickling at her eyes. 

"I've got cancer," she whispered softly before a little sob escaped her lips and the tears started running down her cheek. I had a feeling that this might be her answer but hearing her say the words nearly tore me apart from the inside.  

"Cancer is treatable, we'll get you the best doctors, you'll be ok," I stated trying to convince myself more than her. 

"It's too late Preston," she said making my insides turn. 

"It's never too late, there has to be something we can do!" I half yelled taking both of us by surprise. I couldn't accept the fact that it was too late, I couldn't just accept the fact that she was going to die. 

"The cancer has spread, it's in my bones. There is nothing anybody can do," Katie said looking at me with a tear streaked face. I had no idea how she could be so strong while talking about her own death. 

"I'm not giving up," I stated numbly. 

"I know," she replied as the corner of her mouth turned up into a weak smile. 

We sat there like that just staring at each other until her smile disappeared and was replaced by tears. I knew she was hurting inside, she was used to having to take care of herself but she didn't need to anymore. I was going to do any and everything I could to make sure she survived. I was still holding her hand but it didn't seem like enough comfort as her tears turned into full blown sobs so I moved even closer and pulled her onto my lap. I moved my arms around her and hugged her tightly against me. As I did this her sobs grew louder. I thought she might struggle with me and try to get out of the hug but instead she moved her one arm around my body and the other around my neck. 

"It's going to be ok, you'll see. I won't let anything happen to you," I whispered into her ear as she cried against my chest.