Chapter Two

Barry spent hours pouring over all of the books that he'd found inside of that secret room. Based on the handwriting in one of the journals, it was his mother's and from the lack of anything that belonged to his dad, he concluded that only Nora knew about the room. What still puzzled him to the brink of complete insanity was the spellbooks that he found in her name. He hadn't even breached the surface of all the things that she had and he wasn't sure he'd be able to in the time he had. One thing was for sure, when he left there was no way that he was leaving any of this behind.

Spellbooks though? Can Barry really say that he's surprised? Meta-humans and things he thought next to impossible have become very much possible in the past two and a half years. But somehow, someway his mom was involved in withcraft. Or whatever the hell this was. It just didn't make any sense. Even as he read through her journal, nothing was making sense until he reached a part in the journal that even he couldn't begin to comprehend but it was beginning to make sense.

Barry was only able to read two words before his phone rang, drawing him out of his hyperfocused stupor. The noise startled him and he closed his eyes, taking a deep breath before opening them. Sliding his finger to unlock the phone, he glanced at caller ID and answered.

"Hey Joe."

"Barry, where are you?! It's half past nine and you aren't at the cemetary." Joe exclaimed. The concern threatening to overflow in the man's voice made Barry's heart twist.

Stammering, Barry rushed to come up with an excuse. "Uh, well I uh--I went for a drive around the city." I hope that didn't sound like a question, he thought.

"Right." Joe deadpanned. "When are you coming home?"

Barry glanced at his watch before looking at all of the journals, books, and trinkets piled up around him in the secret room. It would be a while before he was through a lot of them but before he left, he had to know. He needed to understand the meaning of what he found. Barry didn't give him a straightforward answer.

"Soon." He said and left it at that. "Joe...look, I gotta go. I'll see you later so don't wait up."

Before Joe could say anything else, Barry hung up the phone, his eyes already on the open journal in front of him. Nora's handwriting was more than beautiful, it was elegant. Both in design and flourish. He wondered if that was where he got his handwriting from, which was almost identical to his mom's. Eyes skimming over the page, he read the journal entry quietly to himself.

 Eyes skimming over the page, he read the journal entry quietly to himself

Tuesday, April 5, 1994

It's happening again. Barry's having the episodes again and the stress on his little body is becoming too much for him to handle. It always happens when a demon is near or he's having visions. Henry is at work so it's just the two of us and he's only five, so I'm going to protect him like I should.

The demon got the jump on me and it would have killed me but Barry, my sweet baby boy, was there to save me. He had used up much of his main abilities and the amount of power he used to destroy the greater demon, tired him out. Once I was able to get him to bed, I sang him a lullaby and told him that he was my brave little boy.

Barry frowned his mind racing with a million questions but he read on.

Thursday, October 15, 1994

Today, I saw it. The mother of all and the father of all demons. If they were back then it wasn't a good thing. I had to keep Barry safe.

Friday, October 25, 1994

Barry was attacked today. It wasn't fatal but it was enough for me to worry. I found out that the people who attacked him had been watching him for a while now, waiting for the right moment to attack. We were at the park--I turned my head for just a second, and he was gone. I managed to track him through my maternal link and caught up with the captors. They were cutting him and burning him, toying with him.

They were demons in the form of humans.

That day Barry exhibited powers that he should never have had in the first place. Powers that no downworlder should have. He all but decimated the demons, leaving them in a smoking pile of ash but one was able to escape. After what I saw him do, I knew what I had to do. I knew that he was more than what he was born to be and I knew that I had to protect him, no matter what I had to do.

That night, I took him to the high warlock in Brooklyn, New York and asked him to seal and lock Barry's powers away. Forever.

OoO

Barry sat back in the chair, his mind spinning from everything he'd just  learned from reading. Things were finally starting to make sense where the question as to why his mom had all of these spellbooks and trinkets and other stuff normal people shouldn't have. However, he was still way beyond confused as to what he read where he was concerned. He had powers that were locked away somewhere? No way! And the episodes his mom talked about him having, what was that about? And how come he couldn't remember any of it?

Barry dragged his hand down his face, rubbing his eyes before exhaling as he said, "This is so trippy."

As hard as it was to believe, there were spellbooks. Spellbooks! And if he was right, technically they were his now by being the closest thing she had to an heir. Still, he couldn't help wondering just what the hell he was gonna do with all this stuff. Some of it he admitted he could take home with him but the rest would have to stay due to privacy and security reasons. Another thing was the fact he wasn't all that shocked by this. Maybe he was just running on autopilot at the moment and hadn't had a lot of time to just let it catch up to him.

Barry grabbed a few of his mom's journals and two of the spellbooks before he locked the secret room and left the house. He made sure to lock it up tight before going to his car, where he tossed the books in the backseat. As he got in and drove, he debated on if he should tell his friends what he found. Thinking hard about it, he came to the conclusion that that probably wouldn't be such a good idea.

So he drove home, ready for what would happen the next day.

Author's Note : Short chapter, I know! It was more of a filler slash back information before things start to really heat up!