Chapter 8

Sorry, the last chapter was crIngY...this one will be better. (hopefully)

Elaine's POV.
I stood in shock, panic whizzing through every part of my body. Time slowed down; I could hear Remi sobbing, holding a red sweater, kneeling over the broken, bloody body of Blyke. The car had sped off and Arlo had attempted to chase them but gave up after the car crossed into the highway. Seraphina was frozen, she didn't move a muscle, it was as if the life was sucked out of her. John was by Remi's side in an instant, straining and trying his best to keep Blyke's heart stable.

"Elaine, what are you doing!?" Arlo screamed.

I jerked my head out of a daze, "What?"

Arlo rolled his eyes, "Help heal Blyke with John of course..."

Wow Elaine! You're the team's medic for a reason!

I rushed over to John, "John! Do safety protocol #349!"

He stared at me, "What?"

"Put pressure on his wounds to temporarily stop the bleeding!"

"Oh, right!" While John started on that, I checked his system. I stopped, my face pale; Remi saw my face and demanded, "What's wrong?"

"Holy sh$t! He has a massive amount of internal bleeding. He needs to get a doctor right now!"

"But Elaine! You're a doctor!"

"I know! But my power level is too low!"

"What about John?"

John screwed his eyes shut and concentrated, but he flew backward and landed with a thud! "What the fu*k!? There's something blocking the way!"

"Darn, you're not strong enough!" I growled pacing around. "Wait, did you say something was blocking you?"

John nodded.

"My theory is correct! There's a strong barrier in everybody's body protecting our internal insides just within our ribcage, but in Blyke's case, his barrier didn't smash but his organs are bleeding! I don't even know how that's possible! There's only one person in the world who's able to break that and he's dead!"

"What do we do then?"

"Don't panic, and just try to keep him stable. I'm calling a friend."

"What can they possibly do? Neither you or John can do much!"

"They're...special! Please trust me on this."

C'mon...please pick up..please pick up...

"Elaine? What's going on?"

Yes!

"Mr. Doe, I need your help!"

"What is it?"

"How do you fix an internal wound with the barrier still intact?"

"..."

"Mr. Doe!"

"Locate the source of bleeding from the outside of the body and try breaking the barrier from the outside! Meanwhile, get the patient a hot press for the forehead and keep the pressure on the wound! Try to keep the patient as relaxed as possible, I'll be there in a couple of hours. Don't let anyone operate on the person, his body is too fragile for surgery. Try your best, Elaine."

BEEEEEPPPPP.

"Mr. Doe?"

He hung up. Alright, Elaine get to work. Is he really coming here?

"Remi! Go fetch a hot towel and put it on Blyke's forehead! Wait! Forget that! Seraphina you do Remi's job-"

Seraphina seemed to wake up and nod briskly.

"Remi, try to calm him down and make him feel at peace."

"But he's unconscious-"

"Do it like he's awake!"

"John apply pressure! I'm going to find a way to crack the barrier!" Dammit, Elaine, find it! It's what your power is for, isn't it?

I felt a strange pulse near his shirt, so I pulled it off, and there it was. A small hole no bigger than an ant, but nonetheless the source of all this bleeding. I focused and groaned from all the effort, but I couldn't do it, it was too late.

Arlo was speaking to the police as they arrived, explaining the situation. The police cars sped off into the night, and I was left pondering who would do such a thing. Apparently, the authorities had been trying to catch this group of low-tier criminals for a long time. They caused disruption in the community, looted, stole, and even had killed several groups of people. I was confused about how the authorities couldn't catch them. They were low-tiers...? But perhaps their organization was rather good at staying hidden.

An ambulance arrived and offered to take us to the hospital. We agreed but refused to let them operate on Blyke.

"Elaine is all we need. " My team told them, I glowed with pride until I realized I had a task at hand. Elaine, why didn't you think of doing what Mr. Doe told you to do earlier?

Ding!

Where r u?

As I texted him the address I hoped with all my heart he could fix this.

4 hours later, Mr. Doe appeared. He marched his way in, to John's surprise, and examined Blyke.

He glanced at his with horror written on his face. "I'm sorry......but the boy is...I can't feel his heartbeat, he doesn't have a pulse and no aura of a life..."

We all knew what he meant. My head drooped and a tear slipped down my cheek. After all this hard work and racking our brains for a solution, we still couldn't...

My heart skipped a beat as we all glanced at each other sadly.

It was time to accept the truth.
Blyke was

Gone.