Episode 9

(Haruka’s aspect)

As Rei was on his way back, I got ready on the start block before I noticed Rin watching us. I took a small breath, I don’t need to know the answer right now. I putted on my goggles ans as soon a Rei slammed the side, I dove into the water. I catched up with many other swimmers and soon I was on the 3th place. I made the turn and catched up with the second place. I heard how the others cheered as loud as they could. I swam side by side with the last swimmer before I saw Ryoma in a split-sec running of the tribune and getting on the start block. “Nana-chan~!!!”she said. My eyes widened I, [“promise me, to be there when I’ll reach out for the side again.”]

At that moment I found the strength and little by little I got ahead from the last swimmer. I slammed my hand against the side and with a deep breath I got above the surface. “you did it!” they yelled. After I looked at the screen with the times, Makoto held his hand out to me. “Haru, you did it,” he repeated. “ that was amazing, Haru-chan!” Nagisa said. “Haruka-sempai, that really was inspiring!” Rei said, “my blood pressure really rise to the max!” “mine still is,” Makoto chuckled before he helped me out of the water. “Haru-chan, I love you!” Nagisa said before he jumped onto me. “Haruka-sempai!” Rei said before he started hugging both of us.” “oi, Nagisa, you’re heavy,” I complained. “we really did it!” Nagisa said again before he got off me. I looked at Makoto who was smiling before he moved to the side. Ryoma slowly looked up from the ground as I walked up to her. She looked shy away as she turned a bit red by how close I got. She placed her hand on my chest as she stayed quiet for a small moment. “I knew you could do it,” she said. I shook my head, “don’t talk,” I said quiet as I gently cupper her cheek. I closed my eyes and slowly placed my lips on hers.

(Ryoma’s aspect)

After a long speech from the principal and a long day of classes, the Hachiman festival finally started. And together with Rei I was waiting for the others to arrive. As Rei was taking a look at his watch, I heard Nagisa calling us. I looked around, Haru was with them. He looked at me before he looked away in the corners of his eyes, “that kimono, suits you.” I smiled brightly, “thank you.” I held the long sleeve a bit in front of my mouth, I could still feel the touch of his lips, which were still as soft as years ago. “then shall we go to the shrine?” Nagisa asked. “sounds like a plan,” Rei said. “yeah, lets go,” Makoto agreed before they started walking again. Haru held his hand out to me, “shall we go?” he asked quiet. With a small blush I slowly took his hand, ”yeah, we shall.”

“almost everywhere squids!” Nagisa then said some later, “its nothing different from in the past.” After we took a watch on a event of catching squids, the guys became hungry. “what do you guys want to eat?” Makoto asked us. “we should start with roasted squid,” Nagisa said. “I prefer Squid tempura,” Rei told him. “lets just look for something,” Makoto said. “squid burgers!” Nagisa said again before we continued walking and Nagisa and Rei started acting a bit mysterious. “is something wrong?” I asked them. “no!” Nagisa quickly said, “we where just discussing about how many bowls we can eat.” “are you planning to eat that much?” Haru asked before Nagisa grot in front of him. “wha- alright, squid burgers for everyone!” he said loud. “y-yeah, that’s a good idea Nagisa-kun,” Rei agreed. “we’ll get it for you, just wait there,” Nagisa said as he pointed into a direction. “we can look for a place to eat,” Makoto said before he started walking. I still looked a bit confused at Nagisa and Rei before Haru, who followed Makoto, pulled me with him.

As soon as we found an empty picnic table, Nagisa returned with lots of food. “this really is to much,” Makoto said a bit uneasy. “how do you want us to eat all of this?” I asked before Haru took a skewer towards me. I looked at him before I took a bite of it. “beside, where is Rei?” Makoto looked up. “he met up with an acquaintance and now they’re going over the festival together,” Nagisa explained a bit uneasy. “I’ll get something to drink,” Haru then said. “wh- no!” Nagisa said, “let me do it, I found a drink stand on the way here.” “then I’ll go with you, you probably cant carry all of it,” Makoto said before they left. Haru and I looked at each other before I smiled softly at him.

After we had finally ate something, we continued walking as we passed a shooting stand. “look, look Nagi-chan! Isn’t that one cute?!” I said as I pointed at a dolphin plush. “it really is, but to bad, im trying to get that game,” he said before he paid for a fake gun and aimed for a small box on the highest shelf but he missed. His phone rang and immediately turned around as he quietly read his messages. As soon as I heard someone shooting next to me, I shocked and turned around as I noticed Haru holding the dolphin plush out to me. “N-nana-chan..” I said surprised. “what? Didn’t you said you liked it?” he shrugged. I looked up and smiled as I took the plush from him, ”thank you.” “I need to go to the restroom,” he then said after a moment and I pouted a bit. Now he just ruined the moment. Makoto looked at him, “wasn’t there one the start of the stands?” “yes, I’ll be ri-“ Haru said as he was about to leave till Nagisa stopped him. “can’t you keep it up for a moment?!” he asked him, “beside, at our right there is one which is closer!”

As we continued walking, we passed a caramel apple stand and Haru bought one. He took a bite of it before he handed it to me. As I took a bite of it he walked over to Nagisa who was concentrating on his phone again. “what are you doing all the time?” Haru asked him. Nagisa shocked up and sighed a bit, “Rin-chan is here,” he said. “going to this festival was our plan for distracting you from your race with Rin, but now he’s here. Rei’s following him right now.” “I’ll be fine, tell him to get back,” Haru said. Nagisa looked up, “alright then i’ll go get him,” he said before he left. I watched Nagisa leaving before I looked back at Haru,  “are you sure?” he looked at me and nodded.

We walked away from the stands to a higher place with the view of the festival. While I was sitting on a bench, Haru and Makoto where standing against a fence. “you know,” Makoto started after a long silence. “we haven’t trained for a relay yet, so I became a bit fanatic. I swam as fast as I could so the next one could go but while swimming, I remembered that day and I was glad that I got to swim a relay with everyone again.” Haru looked up before he looked a bit into my direction. “I don’t know anymore!” he started, “I don’t need a reason to swim, as long as im able to feel the water. That’s what ive always thought. But after I lost from Rin, everything went black. And now, im not even able to swim with him again. After that, I didn’t care about anything anymore, not even the tournament. But after I saw you guys swimming, it thought like; ive trained so hard with you guys. I wouldn’t be different that the 4th person in a relay. But if you really wanted to swim a relay, I would swim with you. That moment I realized how it was to swim in the same track, how it felt as everyone is cheering you on at the finish line.” He turned around and looked at Makoto, “that makes me happy!” “Haru,” Makoto looked a bit surprised up. “Haru-chan! Is that true!” I heard the voice of Nagisa as he walked towards us together with Rei. “when did the two of you returned?” Makoto asked them. “now you have your answer, Haruka-sempai,” Rei said. Haru looked at everyone. “Nagisa, Rei, Makoto. I want to swim, I want to swim with all of you.” I smiled softly. “Haru! Haruka-sempai! Haru-chan!” they called him. “that means that we need to train hard tomorrow,” Nagisa said. “im getting fired up!” Rei said. Makoto chuckled, “then we better return home so we’ll be fit enough tomorrow.”