♛ Chapter one

𝐅𝐚𝐬𝐡𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐓𝐢𝐩 𝟏

𝗨𝘀𝗲 𝗮 𝗹𝗲𝗺𝗼𝗻 𝘄𝗲𝗱𝗴𝗲 𝘁𝗼 𝗿𝗲𝗺𝗼𝘃𝗲 𝗲𝘅𝗰𝗲𝘀𝘀 𝗼𝗿 𝘀𝘁𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗸𝘆 𝘀𝗲𝗹𝗳-𝘁𝗮𝗻𝗻𝗲𝗿.

I had just arrived home from school. The sun was beating down on me and I felt like my school uniform was glued to my body. I pounded on the door eager to take off my uniform and have an ice-cold bath. No one answered so I reluctantly rustled through my backpack for my keys. I turned the lock and peered into the hallway. I remember thinking my dad should be home. Though at the time, I was meant to be at Charlotte's house so I guess plans can change.

Thinking nothing of it I rushed up the stairs, but my steps slowed down when I began to hear hushed voices coming from my parents' bedroom. I barged in expecting to see my mom and her beautiful jungle of curls and my dad and his deep blue eyes. I did see my dad, but that was totally not my mom.

I don't remember much after that. I remember the wave of shock and disappointment that rushed over me. I remember the taste of my tears and how my dad rushed her, whoever she was, away. I remember him engulfing me in a big hug and telling me it'd be okay. When really it never would. Most of all, I remember the promise I made, that I would say nothing to mom. It'd hurt her too much.

He promised it was the last time but for the rest of the summer, it seemed to always play out the same way. Soon, it became a Wednesday afternoon ritual that I couldn't tell mommy about. Mom worked longer shifts at the hospital on Wednesdays.

Even through the walls of my bedroom, my mom's yelling pierced through my thoughts bringing me back from my reverie. It had been this way for a few weeks now except this time they were trying way less to be quiet. No matter how many pillows I piled on top of my head, I could hear their muttered jabs. 

I was starting to get this permanent 'I just got out of bed look', which by the way can not be attractive on anyone. Even though the headphones, I can still hear them. My mum found out about the affair in September, I've known since the start of summer. Honestly, I can't understand how Dad kept it secret for so long. She still has no idea that I even know, and I avoid looking at my dad at the dinner table. That is when we actually sit down together to eat.

I shut my eyes tight willing sleep to come. It doesn't. Honestly, they need to work their issues out so I can catch some Zs.

I get up from my bed, the hardwood floor was ice cold against my bare feet. I walked to the door trying to make no noise. I did not want them to know I was awake for their entire tête-à-tête. That would mean yet another conversation about how it would all be resolved soon, and that this was just a rough patch. Spare me.

I didn't bother with the lights. I had lived in this house for as long as I could remember. I could probably navigate it blindfolded. I made my way to the kitchen. My stomach rumbled missing the meal I had skipped. What I really needed was a glass of chocolate perfection. When I was younger, Mum always said chocolate milk could cure just about anything. Here's to it curing my sleepless nights. The kitchen lit up with the light of the fridge. That's when I saw my dad's illuminated figure sitting on the counter top. He looked like a deer caught in headlights. 

He gave me a tired grin. Which morphed by fatigue and came across more like a grimace. I took in small breath. Lately, I had no idea how to even breathe around him. My dad used to be my favourite person in the world. Now I could barely look at him. I had kept his secret but that didn't change what he had done.