♛ Chapter four

𝐅𝐚𝐬𝐡𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐭𝐢𝐩 𝟒

𝙍𝙚𝙢𝙤𝙫𝙚 𝙬𝙝𝙞𝙩𝙚 𝙙𝙚𝙤𝙙𝙤𝙧𝙖𝙣𝙩 𝙢𝙖𝙧𝙠𝙨 𝙛𝙧𝙤𝙢 𝙖 𝙜𝙖𝙧𝙢𝙚𝙣𝙩 𝙗𝙮 𝙜𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙡𝙮 𝙧𝙪𝙗𝙗𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙥𝙧𝙤𝙩𝙚𝙘𝙩𝙞𝙫𝙚 𝙛𝙤𝙖𝙢 𝙪𝙨𝙚𝙙 𝙤𝙣 𝙝𝙖𝙣𝙜𝙚𝙧𝙨 𝙖𝙜𝙖𝙞𝙣𝙨𝙩 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙛𝙖𝙗𝙧𝙞𝙘.

My sparkly cowboy high heeled boots... were perhaps not the best option for today.

Without a word, he began walking, quickly. I couldn't keep up at all. The heels kept getting stuck in the mud. We walked for what felt like ages with these heels but was probably only a minute. It looked like there was nothing but fields for miles and I tried to appreciate the grass and the trees and more grass but I just found myself wondering why anyone would choose to live here. In the middle of literal nowhere.

"Can you slow down," I panted after him. My curls were sticking to the beads of sweat on my forehead.

"What? Can't keep up, princess," He said, and I could practically hear his smirk. I scowled at the nickname. If I was a princess my castle would not be here.

"Well, these shoes aren't exactly made for stomping in mud," I grumbled pulling my heel from the mud for the umpteenth time.

"No, they aren't. They don't belong here and neither do you," He said his voice was so condescending it made my blood boil.

"Excuse me," I said suddenly feeling offended. Though I knew I didn't really belong here and I didn't want to belong either. Only farmers and cows could belong in such a horrible place.

"Have you ever even seen a farm?" He questioned. The sun was beating down hard and I wondered how he wasn't sweating.

"Erhm no, " I said and he huffed as if to say I told you so "But I'm pretty sure I can do whatever it is you do, easily," I said much too confidently. I was not a farm girl at all and even as I said the words I doubted I could become one. The mall was more my element.

"Really?" he said finally stopping in front of a barn to face me. I just raised a brow, he didn't intimidate me at all and honestly how hard could playing farm girl be. I liked a challenge and I usually succeeded at them. When I said nothing, he gestured for me to follow him into the barn.

Before I entered the barn I knew what was coming, I could hear the clucking and squawking. Chickens? I could deal with that I thought following him, the clack of my heals matching the sound the chickens were making.

The smell hit hard, it was horrible and intense and I found myself holding my breath. Reese didn't seem bothered by the smell and walked on with ease. The barn, or chicken coop, was small. There were 2 rows of about 30 chickens each inside little compartments.

Reese grabbed a blue bucket from a corner and tried to hand it to me but I folded my arms and gave him a look that said 'what am I supposed to do with that'.

He gave me a look that said 'princess' and I frowned.

"Take this and go around behind the chicken holds and collect their eggs. That's all you have to do. Collect the egg and put them in here" he said gesturing to the bucket like I was some sort of idiot. What a patronizing jerk I thought but only smiled sweetly as I took the bucket.

"I'll add the feed into their food bowls," he said already walking to get the feed from a sack in the corner.

Okay, I thought. How hard can this be? Honestly, how much harm can chicken cause?