♛ Chapter six

𝗙𝗮𝘀𝗵𝗶𝗼𝗻 𝘁𝗶𝗽 𝟱

𝗪𝗲𝗮𝗿 𝘁𝗿𝗲𝗻𝗱𝘀 𝗶𝗻 𝗮𝗻 𝗮𝗴𝗲-𝗮𝗽𝗽𝗿𝗼𝗽𝗿𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗲 𝘄𝗮𝘆. 𝗜'𝗺 𝗹𝗼𝗼𝗸𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗮𝘁 𝘆𝗼𝘂, 𝗺𝗼𝗺𝘀 𝗶𝗻 𝗰𝗿𝗼𝗽 𝘁𝗼𝗽𝘀.

When I first woke up I completely forgot where I was. I looked around rubbing my eyes perplexedly. When it all came back to me, I decided I wanted to be anywhere else but here.

I changed into leggings and a sports bra and my least expensive sneakers. I wanted to run. I needed fresh air and to clear my head. I needed a break from the chaos of that house.

I walked downstairs in the dark, went to the kitchen and grabbed a bottle of water before leaving.

Outside everything was still, calm. The sun was just rising and the grass was still dewy, there was no one in sight. Well, of course not.

As I began running along the road at the bottom of the hill, surrounded by dominating trees and chirping birds, I began to really appreciate... nature. I mean I was by all definitions still a city girl but  I will admit there is a certain charm.  It has a constant melody. The rustling of the leaves beneath my feet, the whistling of the wind.  Something about it just makes me feel grounded and in control, a feeling I'd definitely missed.

Though, considering I almost just swallowed a fly, the charm was quickly waning.

About 5 minutes into my run, I heard someone call my name. I quickened my pace when I realized who it was. 

Reese.

Great. He was wearing a blue sleeveless vest, which showed off his toned arms, paired with shorts. Who looks that good so early in the morning?

"Hey, Aya," he said catching up to me faster than I liked. I didn't pause or even look at him. I wasn't really in the mood to talk, I needed to think. And either way, I definitely didn't want to talk to him.

"Did I do something?" He asked still matching my pace easily.

"Nope," I replied shortly. He didn't speak for a while after that. Then out of nowhere, he asked, "how did you find Hawkins yesterday?" How did I find Hawkins? Seriously.

When I didn't reply he jogged ahead of me and blocked my path forcing me to come to a stop. I stared up at him, too tired to even try and fight him.

"Seriously, have I offended you?" He asked staring me straight in the eye. I raised a brow.

"How could you have, we aren't friends, we don't talk. So no, I'm not mad at you. I just don't feel like chatting," I said and jogged past him. Then he jogged past me. Then I, of course, had to in turn pass him.

We raced each other silently for about 20 minutes more and by the end I was completely breathless. He barely seemed winded. Prick.

We walked back together quietly when I reached the ranch he called out a goodbye  which and I reluctantly.

Mr. Peterson was in his forties and a dignified man had earned many degrees yet he couldn't seem to understand basic concepts and when in 3rd period I tried to explain to Mr. Peterson that I couldn't possibly do my homework if I have no books yet he didn't seem to understand that at all. Instead he gav me a bad note and a stern warning.

I scowled and just sat down shaking my head. Reese passed me a note a few minutes after; Mr. Peterson is a sweetheart, isn't he?

I passed him a note back; Yes, and a fine educator, really very smart. He laughed softly at that which made me feel warm inside.