Chapter 8

WARNING: This and the next section of the story contains descriptions of homophobic language, alcoholism, physical abuse, violence and reactions to pain. If you are easily triggered and would rather not read this chapter please skip to chapter 10. I will put a quick summarization of what occurred during this chapter in the beginning of chapter 10 for those for would rather not read this chapter 8 and 9. 

Lance just stared at his father as popped the cap off the bottle of beer. His father had gotten sober five years ago, promising that he would never touch a bottle of alcohol ever again. No one in his family even knew that there was beer in the fridge anymore. His father had promised never to drink after the escalation of his drunkenness had caused him to become violent and abusive. And if that drinking started again... then the abuse would start up again and his family would crumble.

"Papá!" Lance yells, "you promised you wouldn't drink again! Not after last time!"

Lance's dad whips around and points the bottle of beer at Lance.

"Don't you ever tell me what to do, mind your own fuckin business and piss off."

Lance felt his stomach drop, there's no stopping his father now. Quickly, Lance runs up the stairs to his room and calls his mom at work.

"Lance?"

"Hey Mamá," Lance says with a shaky breath.

"Oh hijo, what's wrong?"

"Mamá, Papá just got home."

"What do you mean he just got home?"

"Mamá... got laid off."

Silence was heard over the phone.

"And he started drinking again..."

Silence again, before Lance hears a shuddering breath from his mom.

"Is he drunk yet?" she asks quietly.

"No Mamá, but it won't be long."

"Okay... okay," his mom says, "listen to me hijo, grab a backpack and fill it with clothing and essentials for your brothers and sisters. Then get Marco, Luis, Isabella and Veronica out of the house. Take them to Hunk's, I'm going to call his mom and let them know what's going on. And don't come back until I say."

Lance just nods his head, not saying anything back.

"Hijo, I love you so much,"

"I love you too Mamá,"

"Now go,"

"Bye Mamá,"

Lance hangs up the phone and rushes to grab his backpack. He fills it with pairs of his clothes before moving to his siblings rooms to grab pieces of clothing as well. Once in Veronica's room he sees Veronica handing him a small pile of her clothing.

"Ron..."

"I know, I heard your conversation with Mamá," she says as she pulls on a sweater. "I'll go get Marc and Luis."

"Thanks Ron," Lance says as he heads to Isabella's room where she was napping.

"Hey Bella," Lance says as he gently nudges her awake.

"Hiya Lance," Isabella says tiredly.

"You've gotta get up now, we're going for a car ride over to Hunk's."

"Okie dokie," she says as Lance lifts her out of bed and into his arms. Once downstairs Lance finds Veronica by the door, keeping Marco and Luis as quiet as possible. With shoes on all of their feet, they quietly leave and head to Lance's car. Veronica helps get the twins buckled in while Lance puts Isabella in her car seat before hoping in the driver's side. Veronica finishes helping the twins and pops in the passenger side, giving Lance a nod before he backs out of the driveway and over to Hunk's. During the drive all Lance could think about was his mom, if his mom would be okay and if his dad had truly gone off the deep end. With those thoughts running on repeat, they eventually make it to Hunk's house. Hunk rushes out the front door, his mom close behind him as they come to help get the twins and Isabella out of the car. With their help, Hunk's mom ushers the kids into the house, telling them about the snacks that are ready for them and that they can go and pick a movie to watch in the meantime. Lance gives a small smile as he watches his siblings gather around the television before Hunk nudges his arm and leads him down the hallway to his room. Lance collapses on his bed lets out a deep sigh. Hunk sits down next to him and pats Lance's back as he sits up next to Hunk.