Bean Street Cafe

CHAPTER 2

The week went by ok and then the weekend came, or Friday night should be I said when I had to go to work. I work Friday nights and weekends at the Bean Street Café it is a small coffee shop ten minutes away from my house. I saw they had a help wanted to sign one-day last spring when Jordin and I were walking in a strip mall with a grocery store, a bank a floral shop, etc. So I went in and applied, and I have been working there ever since. But anyways I was working my 3 – 9 shifts Friday night when Jordin came in with our other friend Zoey that goes to a vocational high school, I had not seen Zoey in a long time, so I was shocked when I saw her, she had lost so much weight she looked terrific. "Zoey you look amazing," I said. "Thanks, I just got tired of being bullied so I went to a nutritionist and I've lost twenty-five pounds so far." "Good for you." "It's not easy sometimes, but I fight through it." My boss then glared at me. "I got to get back to work were you guys going to order anything?" "Oh, no thanks were going to get a bite to eat." Jordin had said. "Ok well, thanks for stopping by." "Bye."

"Why don't you wipe down some tables and run around with the broom and then change out the trash." my boss Rosa had said. "I'll get right on it," I said, and then I got to work on wiping down tables. A little while later it picked up a bit, so I was taking orders and cashiering and making drinks, etc. It's you know a job it gives me spending money in my pocket. I'm just grateful to even have a job, with how strict my parents are they never let Lizzie work until she went out on her own. At 9:07 I punch out and head to my car, but first Rosa pulls me aside. "Are you ok Kelly you looked exhausted and worn out." "Well yeah I am a little bit, but I'm okay." "I hope so because you are an asset to us we need you to stay on your toes, ok?" "Ok, I'll try." "Drive safely." I get in my car the radio is blasting on channel Kiss 108.   It is a cold and rainy night, so I turn the heat way up, lock the doors, put my belt on, and pull out of my parking spot at quarter past nine. "Boom claps sound of my heart the beat goes on and Nah Nah Nah." I sing along with the radio at the top of my lungs.  At 9:40 I pull into the driveway at home, I lock the car and walk into the house. "Hey honey how was work?" asks Dad from the living room. "It was ok." "You look tired and as though you're starving you eating alright?" "Yeah, dad I'm fine, just tired and ready to end the day." "Well, you go get some sleep to love you." "Love you too daddy." I lean in and give him a hug and a kiss, he was watching a basketball game on television, and he usually sits up and waits for me to come home from work on Friday nights anyway.  The soap and the hot water on my body feel right on me tonight; it loosens up my back, shoulders and my neck. After about ten minutes I step out dry of and slip into a warm nightgown and then climb into bed and fall sound asleep.