The Recovery Process

CHAPTER 5

"We will design a program for her based on her needs; we have several different groups to meet the needs of the individual's specific treatment goals. My name is Addison Walker I will be your daughter's caseworker." "So it looks like she is all registered and has been accepted to our facility at this time we ask that you say you're goodbye's." says the administrator of the facility. So mom and dad and I give hugs and kisses and say goodbye, then they turn around and leave the building. "Come on Kelly we will show you around a little bit and talk a little more." Addison had said. By the time the tour of the facility is over we have discussed a treatment plan and decided on what groups I should be in, so we made a schedule of what my days here would consist of. The next morning after what was a horrible night's sleep I get woken up by a psych nurse. "I want you to go in and go the bathroom then come right back out, and we will get a weight and do some vital signs and then we will go to the cafeteria and get some breakfast." "Ok, what is your name?" "I am Ramona, a psych nurse I have been assigned to your case." So I pull off the covers and climb out of bed, the nurse goes into the bathroom with me, after I pee and wash my hands she takes me to a scale to weigh in. She writes it down on her chart and then dose blood pressure, pulse and gets a temperature. "Ok let's go eat." So she and I walk to the cafeteria in silence. We walk to a table that has my name on it, it says Kelly M on it, and on the table is a tray of food. "Looks like you have scrambled eggs with bacon and a fruit cup and orange juice." Ramona had said. She sits down next to me and watches me eat. I nibble at the eggs I tear in half a piece of bacon and pop it into my mouth, and I eat all my fruit, and I drink half a cup of orange juice. Ramona makes a note of how much I had to eat and drink in her chart. "I'm going to be like a shadow in your groups as well so right now it looks like we are headed to see the nutritionist first in our nutrition group. Then from there, you have art therapy. Then we will come back here for morning snack around ten o'clock afterwards from ten thirty to eleven thirty you're going to see a therapist that I won't be with you for, after therapy you have DBT which is short for Dialectical Behavioral Therapy, were you would learn to get in touch with your feelings and emotions. At twelve thirty we will come back here for lunch and then your next group of the day will be an eating disorder support group where you will learn to lean on your peers for support as well. Then your last group of the day is a body image and self-esteem group. Are you ready?" "Yeah, I am." So we go ahead and start what seems like is going to be a long day. But it will be worth it in the end if it is going to help me get my life back in the right direction.