the hands of fate

CHAPTER 14

"Come on Morgan we are going to see Kelly today." Says Steven the following Saturday, it was approaching noon time Morgan and Steven were in the living room working on a puzzle. "Am I going with mommy tonight too?" asks Morgan. "Yes you are but we are going to see Kelly first visiting from one to five, and we have an hour's ride to get there." "Can we have some lunch first I'm getting hungry." Morgan had said. "Of course we can I will go make us some peanut butter and jelly sandwiches." "Can I help you?" asks Morgan. "Sure." So they go to the kitchen and make some lunch after they eat they head out the door to see Kelly. They are merging into the on-ramp once they are on the highway there is this drunk driver swerving all over the road and is going at a good clip too. "This guy is going to cause an accident." Steven had exclaimed as he was searching for his cell phone. "What's wrong daddy." Morgan had asked from the back door. "Oh, nothing honey go back to listening to your headphones." Steven had said. He is still trying to feel for his cell phone to call the non-emergency number on the drunk driver. Once his phone is in his hand he looks down for just a second to dial the number and the drunk driver swerves and hits Steven's car on the driver's side, and Steven has ejected out the car through the windshield. "Daddy," Morgan screamed as tears of fear started to fall from her eyes. A few minutes later the police show up and help Morgan get out of the car they arrest the drunk driver, and Steven was rushed to the closest hospital. "What's your name?" asks the woman police officer. "Morgan Mastrangelo." "That's a pretty name do you know how we can reach your mom so we can bring you to her." "The number is in my phone." Morgan had said as she handed her phone over to the police officer. "No that is ok I'm fifteen minutes away I can come to get her," Roberta says on the phone to the police officer. "Ok, mam we will stay with her until you get here." "Here is your phone honey your mom is on her way." "You have been doing so good Kelly we are all proud of you." Says Addison they were in the lounge just hanging out talking about the week Kelly had. "Thank you. I'm feeling better now than I have in a long time." Kelly had said. It was approaching four thirty in the afternoon when Roberta and Morgan were walking into the main entrance of the facility. "Mom, Morgan." Says Kelly as she runs down the hall to give her mother and sister a hug and a kiss. Roberta was crying she was coming from the hospital where Steven had been pronounced dead. "Why are you crying? What's wrong mom?" asks Kelly. "Please keep in mind Roberta Kelly has had an amazing week, and any upsetting news will just hinder that." Addison had said. "Daddy and I were in a car accident he's gone Kelly it's just us and mom know." Morgan had said, "He is honey, he's gone." Roberta had said. "No that's crazy my father is not dead, please take me to him." Says Kelly her happy face disappeared and she is on the verge of tears. "I'm sorry honey," Roberta says as she's weeping through her tears. Kelly falls to her knees and screams, "Nooooooooo daddy." She is bawling uncontrollably. "I'm sorry to Mrs. Mastrangelo, but I am going to have to ask you to leave." Addison had demanded. "I haven't liked you since the day I met you the girl just lost her father and you're asking me to leave; I don't think so. She needs me right now." "She needs to focus on her recovery I told you that now please leave before I have security show you the way out." "I'm not leaving without my daughter." "In another week she will be able to leave but not a minute before then. Roberts lowers herself down to Kelly's level on the floor. "I need you to stay strong Kelly one more week you have it in you need to fight to stay with us baby girl we need you." Mom had said still crying. "I have to go you hang in there ok, can you do that for me?" Kelly does not speak it is difficult to talk through her tears, then Roberta gets up off the floor grabs Morgan's hand and turns around and leaves. "Do you need an emergency session with Tiffany?" asks Addison. "Leave me alone." Screams Kelly as she pushes Addison of off her. "I did not get to say goodbye. It's not fair why does God have to take good people I don't understand it it's not fair I want my daddy." Kelly screams still bawling.

CHAPTER 15

Lizzie walks in the front door of her home that she has not seen in two years to see that her mother and Morgan are in the living room watching Morgan's favorite movie, "The Little Mermaid." "Lizzie, what are you doing home? What about school?" "Dad booked me a flight home the other night I needed to come home mom I'm in trouble, where is dad anyways?" "Dad and Morgan were in a car accident this morning on their way to visit Kelly dads gone he passed at the hospital." "Oh, Morgan I'm so glad you're ok." Lizzie had said as she hugged her little sister. "I'm so sorry about dad though oh my God that is just horrible." "What kind of trouble are you in Lizzie?" asks Mom. "You remember my boyfriend Bryan that I met freshman year of college?" "Yeah." Mom had said. "I'm pregnant with his baby, he is a physically abusive man, and I got scared of him, so I had to end things and come home. I missed everyone so much I dropped out of school; it just was not for me." "Oh well I'm glad you're here now, we will figure things out, honey." Mom said hugging Lizzie. "Have you eaten dinner?" asks Mom. "I had crackers on the plane, but I haven't eaten dinner yet." Says Lizzie. "Come on let's go see what is in the fridge." Says Mom as she put her arms around Lizzie and Morgan. They walked into the kitchen and looked around to see what there was to eat, they decided on turkey burgers and sweet potato fries. A somewhat healthier meal than Roberta would typically make, but for the sake of her girls as well as herself she is trying to cook and eat healthier even if it means taking small steps at a time. After they eat and clean-up they get in their pajamas and fell asleep all three of them in Roberta's bed.