Avoidance

CHAPTER 4

"I would like to pick up some more hours at work," I said at the dinner table that night; surprisingly dad cooked tonight, so we had something healthy for a change, steak tips, with greens beans and red bliss potatoes. "A few more days a week would not hurt I don't think, as long as it does not interfere with your school work." Dad had said while taking a bite of his steak tips. "I promise it won't," I said taking a bite of my green beans. "You're what?" yelled Lizzie on the phone that night. "I'm dropping out of school, and I'm going to work more they are looking for a baker." "You can't just quit school." "Yes I can I'm of age and besides you don't know what goes on at school kids can be mean." "Are you being bullied?" Instead of answering that question I clicked off the phone. Because I have not eaten much this week everything that I have been eating has been making me nauseous, so I have just been sticking two fingers down my throat again. I lather my hair in the shower that night with my keratin shampoo, and when I went to rinse it out, hair was falling out of my head and into my hands. Once I'm dried off, and in my pajamas, I look at my calendar in my room and realize I am a week overdue on my period. I am so cold I am trembling; I slip under the covers and try to get some sleep. "You don't look good you look like a stick," Jordin whispers to me in Art class on Monday morning. "I'm fine." I snap back. "I think she looks good she's lost some weight well good for you baby beluga." Amanda had said. "Knock it off Amanda this is a no bully zone in this Art room, turn around and get back to work." My art teacher Ms.Phillips had said. At the end of art class, I go to get up, and I am wicked dizzy that I collapse. "An ambulance is on its way." I hear as I come back to consciousness. "Don't move her." I hear. "Kelly my name is Eric I am a paramedic we are going to take you to the hospital." "What happened?" "You fainted." "Her parents are on their way to the hospital they will meet her there." Our school principal Mr. Hawthorne had said. "We have a seventeen-year-old female she fainted at school, we are bringing her in." "I heard the paramedic in the back of the ambulance. "Hi Kelly I am Amy I'm going to take care of you today, we are going to give you some fluid and take some vitals, and the doctor will be in shortly." The nurse had said as the bed was being wheeled into a room. "How could she have an eating disorder we watch her like a hawk." I hear my mother say out in the hallway. "Her blood work results came back that she is malnourished she is anorexic." The doctor had said. A few minutes later the doctor and my parents come into my hospital room. "I have been making myself sick as well," I said. "Ok so she is anorexic and bulimic I am making a referral for a month's time at an inpatient clinic for eating disorder treatment." The doctor had said. I spend overnight in the ER for observation. The next day I have moved to a clinic an hour away from here.