Chapter 6

By then, the other occupants of the small cafe had begun to listen in on their conversation, some asking the waiters for the manager and others merely watching to see if there'd be a fight.

"What's wrong with you? Why are you acting like this?" Bucky's voice raised gradually. "Why are you ignorin' me?"

Steve, sensing that things would only escalate from that point on, stood from his seat.

He crossed his arms and looked down at his friend with a strong, warning glare on his face.

"You're acting like a child. Stop it."

The words caused the other man to also stand tall. "Oh, that's rich comin' from you, Stevie. The guy who never backed from a fight, even when he would lose it before it started!"

Shock covered the blonde's face before it quickly washed away, anger replacing it.

Before he could respond, however, most likely with a hard shove, the manager of the establishment interrupted them.

"I'm sorry, gentlemen, but I'm going to have to ask you to leave. You're interrupting everyone's meals with your rowdy behavior."

Both men's gazes immediately shot to the worker. He instantly cowered under their intense stares, Bucky glaring and Steve frowning immensely.

"We're sorry for the scene. We'll be leaving now."

Sparing no time for Bucky to respond or protest, Steve began to leave the cafe after throwing down twenty dollars. The brunette huffed and after sending a death glare the worker's way, followed after his friend.

Steve immediately turned to the other once they were out of the cafe.

"What was that back there, Bucky?!" He didn't bother in hiding the annoyance in his voice, tone wavering between threatening and frustrated.

Bucky rolled his eyes and pressed his chest against the other's, not backing down. "That wasn't my fault! It was yours!"

"Mine?!"

"Yes, yours!"

"How the hell is that?!"

With a firm shove, Bucky made it clear to Steve that he was in no mood to take the blame.

"You're the one who started ignoring me! You tagged along and wanted us to go to the cafe, yet you ignored me! That's not what people do, Steve!"

A scoff pushed past Steve's lips as he listened to the brunette's explanation. He towered over the man and pursed his lips.

"Me? I'm the one who's ignoring you?" When he received a nod, he shook his head angrily. "You've been ignoring me for weeks! Every single time I try to talk to you, you make up some bullshit excuse to avoid me! If I so much as even mention Tony's party, you shut down and hide in your room! We used to be best friends, Bucky, what the hell happened?! Is what happened at the party really enough to make you hate me?!"

The brunette stared at Steve in confusion. He didn't understand what he meant by that and only found himself growing more frustrated because of it.

"You keep bringin' up that damn party! Why do you think I keep avoiding you?! Because all you wanna talk about is that night! It wasn't even important, it certainly shouldn't have been for you!"

"What the fuck is that supposed to mean?!"

"It means," Bucky yelled out loudly, causing passersby to look at them wearily as they walked by. "That nothing important happened back there! I have way more important things to be
worrying about, Steve! There's something goin' on with me that you couldn't even begin to understand! If you stopped worrying about that damn night, maybe you could! But you're so
caught up with your own desires that you don't have enough space in your mind to think about mine!"

The rushed, erratic words left an echoing silence between the men. Steve stared at Bucky with an incomprehensible look in his eyes.

He took a deep breath, clearly trying to find the right words to respond with, before looking away and shaking his head.

"You don't even care, do you?" The question was spoken softly, pain, anger, sadness, and many other emotions clear in it. Bucky rolled his eyes.

"I should be asking you that."

A rough punch was thrown in response. The harsh impact stunned Bucky, forcing him to stumble back and fall to his knees. He immediately gripped his nose.

"What the fuck?!" He growled angrily, eyes shooting up to Steve's hooded ones.

He quickly got back up to his feet and put his fists out in front of him, assuming the fighting stance he had taken many times before.

"I have given everything for you." The blonde spoke quietly. His usually bright blue eyes were darker with grief and boiling anger. It took all he had in him not to throw another punch and quite possibly ruin their friendship for good. "I have tried my hardest to get you to feel comfortable in your own skin, to try and help you come to terms with your new identity."

Bucky leisurely lost his stance as he listened to the man's grief-stricken speech.

"I was willing to go rogue for you!" Steve looked up from the ground as he yelled the words. "I didn't care if it meant going against the government! I didn't care if choosing you meant I had to lose everything and everyone else! That's how much you meant to me, Bucky! That night--that mistake--I was so fucking happy you accepted my feelings! I thought it finally meant we could be together! I thought it meant you were finally comfortable enough with me to do such a thing! I thought what we did meant something to you..." The crack in the man's voice rang throughout Bucky's ears repeatedly.

"But... But I guess I was thinking too highly of myself." A dry chuckle left Steve. Tears began to stream down his face but he continued on like he didn't even know they were there. "I
guess I was thinking too highly of you."

He stared at the man in front of him silently for a few long moments, moments that seemed to last forever, before scoffing.

"I don't even know why I tried so hard... You're still the same man you were when we were kids. You're still nothing but a heartbreaker."

He walked away as soon as the last word left his mouth. Bucky watched him walk away, an action that Steve had watched him do many times before. The words Steve had spoken echoed in the brunette's head. Nothing else occupied the space, only the numb, sincere words.

He stood there for hours.

A/N: There's probably writing errors in this chapter, oops-
I'll fix them as soon as i get on a computer ;""")
Hope you guys liked the new chapter tho, things are starting to get good ;D