A Foggy Night

Yawning, She slowly opened her blue eyes. It was pitch black except for the streaks of moonlight that creeped through the gap between her rain-fly and the rest of her tent. She sat up with a groan, realizing that her bladder was full.

"I gotta use the bathroom. I'll be right back." She glanced at the girl sleeping next to her. No response. "OK." she said to herself as she unzipped the tent door. The night was chilly and she could barely see the road through all the fog, let alone the shower house. Shivering she pulled her phone out of her pocket. 12%. "That should be enough to get to the shower house and back, right?" She quickly flipped her phone flashlight on, feeling a chill run up her spine. "Alright. Lets make this quick." the grass was wet and cold to her bare feet. Fighting the urge to squeal at the sudden feeling, she pushed forward.

Her light bounced off the cracked concrete, as she made her way slowly down the road. Even though the bathrooms were only a couple of minutes away, because of the thick fog that had rolled off the river, it felt like it had been forever. Anytime there was an echo of an owl or the sound of raccoons rummaging through garbage bins,she had to stop and remind herself that she was camping and that those sounds were normal at night. The walls of the bathrooms finally came into sight and she let out a breath that she didn't realize she had been holding. "Finally." She thought to herself as she reached for the rusty door knob. Locked. "That's strange. The light isn't on...." That's when she heard it. A long high pitched scream mixed with a sadistic growl. Panicking she ran to try the other bathroom. Locked. The sound of footsteps and heavy breathing invaded her hear. The fog hid the perpetrator. There was something about being suddenly blinded by fog, that made the noises sound like they were coming from every direction. Her mind lost it's train of thought as the panic finally settled in. THe hard concrete met her back as her legs gave out. "No. NO! PLEASE. SOMEONE HELP ME!"