Chapter 18

Chapter 18

      The trial finally arrived and honestly, I wasn't looking forward to it. I really didn't want to see Jolie at all after she put my son in danger just so she could go out to party, and after she convinced the judge that she should have Xavier every other weekend.

       I did want to go there so she could get her punishment but I was still afraid that she would only get a light punishment or even not a punishment at all. After all, she had the habit of playing the victim even though she was the one who caused all of this.

       Before heading to the courthouse, Mom and I went to Nova's house to drop of Xavier. My son hated when someone had to babysit him but as soon as Nova opened the front door, he happily gave her a hug and said, "You watch me!"

       "Yes, I am going to watch you," Nova said, smiling back as she picked up Xavier. 

       I handed Nova Xavier's backpack. "This has everything you'll need for him in there, even a few of his favourite snacks because he does get picky from time to time. Oh, and he's allergic t--"

       "Bananas," Nova finished for me. "I know. He also loves waffles so if he's here during lunch, I just might have to make him some."

       "Yay!" Xavier said. "I love waffles!"

       "Thank you for watching him, Nova," I said. 

       "Yeah, of course," Nova said. "I love him a lot and he makes my day brighter with the weird things he says."

       "Bye, Daddy!" Xavier said as he waved.

       "Wow, someone's eager to get rid of me," I said, rolling my eyes before kissing Xavier's forehead. "Bye, Xavier." I then, of course, had to kiss Nova's cheek afterwards. "Thanks again."

       "You're welcome," Nova said with a smile. "I'll see you later."

       I headed back to the car, getting into the passenger seat as Mom started up the car. "You ready to go to the trial?" she asked.

       I sighed. "Ready as I'll ever be."

       Which was basically never. I really didn't want to see Jolie again after she put my son's life in danger. 

       When we got to the courthouse, my heart did start beating a bit faster. I really didn't want Jolie to get away with it and I definitely didn't want to hear her lawyer defending her actions. That was all people did; defend Jolie's actions just because she was Xavier's mother. 

       Father's usually had a bad light, even if they were amazing parents.

       The world was an unfair place at times.

       Mom and I did get there a bit early so we had to wait a long time before the trial started and when it did, I was already regretting coming here. To start the trial off, Jolie had to plead guilty or not guilty of child endangerment. 

       She pleaded not guilty. 

       She actually pleaded not guilty of leaving a three year old home alone so she could go out and party.

       That wasn't the worst part.

       The things Jolie's lawyer was saying were a lot more awful than I ever imagined. She was making her out to be such a perfect little angel who didn't have the opportunity to be a mom because of me. Because I took Xavier away.

       I wasn't surprised Jolie was lying about it. She always lied about it.

       Mom could tell I was getting very annoyed but she couldn't say anything about it in the middle of the trial to make me less annoyed. 

       I really hoped I could sort things out when I was called to the stand. All I had to do was not act annoyed, not act mad, and definitely not give the lawyer any negative reactions for asking me questions about the lies Jolie told.

       When I was finally called to the stand, Mom gave me an encouraging smile before I got up to head there. After giving the sworn testimony, I sat down and waited for Jolie's lawyer to trash me.

       "Mr. Baxter, is it true that you ended things with Miss Maloney by abruptly taking your son here to Miami without telling her?" the lawyer asked.

       "If that did happen, Jolie would have reported me to the police since we had joint custody and I would have violated the terms by taking Xavier away without telling her," I said. "So, no, it isn't true. I left Orlando after Jolie did. She was the one who left Xavier in my care."

       "And do you have any proof of that?" the lawyer asked.

       "I do," I said. "Like I said, if I really did take Xavier away without telling Jolie, she would have reported me to the police since we have joint custody. Do you have proof? You know, of everything Jolie is saying?"

       "I'm the one who asks the questions," she said before moving on to question after question, each of which I was able to shut down with at least some form of proof.

       Even though her being at a party while the police had to break down the door so they could get a child having an allergic reaction to a hospital should be proof enough.

       At least I had a bit more confidence in Jolie actually getting a sentencing. She really had to work on her lying skills if she wanted to win this.

       The trial wasn't just going to be today, unfortunately. I wanted this to be done and over with but we were going to have to come back here again tomorrow.

       When the trial was adjourned for the day, I sighed as Mom and I left the courtroom. "You really shouldn't worry too much about it," Mom said as we made our way to the car. "It's clear that Jolie is lying about all of it and it won't be long before she finally gets what she deserves, even if she is the mom. She still put a three year old boy in danger. She won't get away with it."

       "I really hope so," I said.

________________

omg sorry for the long wait before an update (i say that a lot i have a lot of books i'm so sorry)

but jolie sucks lol bye