08/13

— a flower that resembles you blossomed in this garden of loneliness. i wanted to give it to you.

After having dinner with [Name] and the others, Itachi found himself increasingly longing to be in her company again. Talking to her that night had made him the happiest he had ever felt in a while, and although he tried to push the thought out of his mind, he couldn't deny how beautiful she was. No matter how hard he tried to deny it, he knew he couldn't keep lying himself. He was attracted to her. He had been attracted to her for a while, and he didn't know what to make of it. She was his little brother's friend, and he was meant to be getting married soon.

Should I...?

Itachi bit his lip as he stopped at [Name]'s name in his contact list, tentatively pressing on her contact and examining the options that popped up.

Message. Call. Video.

He wanted to see her again. He wanted to talk to her again. He wanted to be with her, but he knew he shouldn't. He couldn't.

"... I can't."

Itachi's thumb hovered over the call button.

And then, his screen lit up as an unsaved number began calling him, and he felt a wave of irritation as he answered it as politely as he could.

"... hello?"

"Hello? Is this Itachi?"

"It is. And I'm guessing this is... Emika?"

"Yes. Sorry, I wasn't sure if the number your parents communicated to me was the right one. I'm actually calling you because I'm in Tokyo for the weekend, and I was hoping that maybe we could meet and discuss a couple of things."

"Ah, of course. The date has been set for November, right?"

"Yeah, and I wanted to go over some things with you while I'm in town. Planning in person is much better than delegating through messages and calls. I'm glad that our parents have at least allowed us the freedom to work out the finer details of the ceremony."

"... they owe us that much, at least."

"Right. Before we meet, I wanted to discuss some things with you. Are you free to talk right now?"

[Name] was pushed out of Itachi's mind as he focused on listening to Emika.

"Yup. Go ahead."

The more Emika spoke, the more Itachi came to terms with the fact that he was going to be married soon. He didn't want to be, but he knew he had to. For the sake of keeping peace in his family.

It's okay to have feelings. Just make sure they stay as feelings, and nothing more.