11/13

— maybe then, if i had just a little more courage and stood before you, would everything be different now?

What Itachi refused to acknowledge was that by reuniting [Name] and Shisui for that brief encounter, he had ignited a newfound spark between the two.

By the time his wedding to Emika rolled around, it was only when he saw the two turn up to the chapel arm in arm that it dawned on him that [Name]'s sudden "busyness" that prevented her from being able to hang out with Sasuke, Naruto, and Itachi as much as before was more than just her classes and part-time job filling up her schedule.

"Itachi!" Shisui laughed as [Name] threw her arms around the groom with a loud squeal, hugging him as tightly as she could. "Are you excited? Nervous? Happy?"

Itachi smiled weakly as he returned the [Surname]'s embrace, feeling nothing but melancholy in his heart as he held onto her for as long as he could.

"A bit of everything," he laughed as [Name] separated their hug and held him at arm's length, a gooey look of affection in her eyes as she squeezed his arms reassuringly.

"You're finally doing it, huh?" chuckled Shisui as [Name] pulled at Itachi's cheeks with a pout. "Congratulations, man. I can't believe it's happening."

"Believe it," nodded Itachi. "Because it'll be you too, one day."

Shisui exchanged a look with [Name], who had her tongue stuck out in distaste.

"Well... we'll see," said Shisui warily, earning a nod from the [Surname]. "[Name]'s rather pessimistic. She doesn't seem to believe there's any chance of us getting married."

"Shisui, we've literally only been dating for two months," sighed [Name], returning to her partner's side and playfully hitting him. "Why would you want to marry me, anyway?"

"I could write a book on the reasons why I would want to."

Itachi forced a smile at the couple's interaction, unable to be mad at either of them for their decision to be together.

"This is Itachi's special day! Can we just focus on him, please?" complained [Name] as Shisui interlocked his arm with hers once more, a loving smile on his lips as he looked down at her.

"Yeah, yeah. We should go sit down."

Looking up at his cousin once more, Shisui nodded and raised a fist in encouragement.

"We'll see you up at the altar," said Shisui cheerfully, beaming at his cousin. "See you later, big boy!"

Itachi gave the couple one final smile before they scurried off to their seats, joining Sasuke, Naruto, and their respective dates in one of the pews closest to the front of the church. In front of them sat his parents and Emika's parents, who all sat and waited patiently for the bride to arrive so that the ceremony could begin.

Itachi bit his lip, swallowing a torrent of overwhelming emotion before it overtook him and threatened to bring him to tears.

He didn't want to marry Emika, that much he was sure of. If he could, he would rather not marry at all; at least, not until he was ready. And had found the right woman to marry.

It was then that the weight of his decisions began to come crashing down on his shoulders.

Is this how you want to live out your life? Avoiding conflict, not wanting to upset anyone else, even if it means you're unhappy?

"I've already chosen," said the Uchiha to no one in particular, placing a hand over his face as he fought his conflicting emotions.

I'm happy because [Name]'s happy. I'm happy because Shisui's happy. They're two of my favourite people in the world— I'm happy they're happy.