13/13

— but i still want you.

"[Name] is leaving us for a year! I can't deal with that!"

Naruto cried as he clung onto his friend at her farewell party, earning laughs from those around him.

"It gives me an excuse to visit New Zealand more often," hummed Shisui, drink in his hand as he chuckled at Naruto's reaction. "Looks like I'll have to work extra hard to come and see you."

"Whatever," scoffed [Name], rolling her eyes at her partner's comment. "What was it that you said before? 'I make my own money, so I can make my own vacations?'"

"The benefits of being self-employed," shrugged the Uchiha, winking at [Name] before turning around and resuming his conversation with another one of [Name]'s friends.

With Naruto draped around her shoulders, [Name] groaned as she moved through the room, looking around for any sight of Sasuke.

"Sasuke! Where's Itachi?" called out the [Surname], having hoped that his older brother would have been able to come along. She had been unable to see him since his wedding, and dearly wished that they could meet once more before she set off for the year.

"No idea. Have you tried calling him?"

Seeing how let down [Name] looked at Itachi's absence, Naruto frowned and pulled out his phone as they both headed outside of the house. Standing outside the front door of the [Surname] residence, Naruto gently closed the door behind themselves as he dialled Itachi's number, not wanting [Name]'s special night to be clouded by the Uchiha's no-show.

"... please leave a message after the tone. Beep."

Naruto sighed as he was redirected to Itachi's voicemail, looking at [Name] with a glum expression on his face.

"Maybe he's busy," he offered up in consolation. "Or something like that."

"Or maybe Emika didn't let him come," sighed [Name], not wanting to assume anything, but unable to think of anything else to explain the Uchiha's unexpected absence.

"Maybe he's late?"

"Being two hours late isn't a very Itachi thing to do."

"You never know..." Seeing how upset [Name] was saddened Naruto, but he knew there wasn't much else he could do. With a final pat on her shoulder, he turned and headed back inside, going to find Shisui. The Uchiha emerged moments later, seeing his distraught partner clutching her phone to her ear as she unsuccessfully attempted to call Itachi herself.

"What's up?" asked Shisui, dropping down and sitting next to [Name] on the top stair. The [Surname] sighed and shook her head, killing the line and looking towards her boyfriend.

"He said he'd be here, but he hasn't messaged me since Thursday," explained [Name]. "I don't know why he hasn't arrived yet."

A look of concern crossed over Shisui's face as he pulled out his own phone, making to dial his cousin. As he did so, a familiar car slowed down in front of [Name]'s lawn, and he squinted to see if it was Itachi's.

"Hold on. Is that him pulling up?"

[Name] lit up as she recognised Itachi's car pulling up in front of her house, and leapt to her feet immediately. Shisui grimaced as he hung up and pocketed his phone, following [Name] as she skipped towards Itachi's car.

"Itachi!" exclaimed [Name] happily as the forlorn looking Uchiha got out of his car and halfheartedly smiled at the [Surname].

"Long time no see, huh?" chuckled Itachi, wrapping his arms around [Name] in a tight embrace. "You didn't think I'd miss out on my chance to say goodbye to you, did you?"