Good Bye . . . For Now.

Chapter Five :

Good Bye . . . For Now.

"I'm going to miss you, Mom!" I hugged on to my mom as a few tears watered my eyes mercilessly.

My mom only smiled,"It's time, my baby girl. I love you. Have fun in New York for me, okay?"

My dad came back from one of those airport cafes with a mocha, "Tears? Kacie, you will be fine. Just call every once in a while."

I ran up to him and hugge him fiercely, "Through good and bad, you're my Dad and I love you."

That little rhyme was a thing of my child hood because when I was little, we watched a movie together and the son of a man said that. The man was an alchoholic and a cage fighter. You can so tell it's a movie, I bet. . .

Lastly, I almost, but tackled Tamera, "I can't believe it. . .I'm going to miss you horridly."

"I'll visit you. Community college gives a lot of leave - way," Tamera tried to speak confidently, although her voice cracked, "I'm so proud of you, Kace."

The familiar warning rang through the speakers of the airport, "Flight 23 B to New York is now boarding. Have a safe flight!"

"You better go now," my mom sighed.

I peeled my way from Tara and gave Chris a bear hug before running to the gates with Aunt MIa. Suppressing the urge to cry my eyes out, my face grew quite a shade of rose.

Aunt Mia grinned as she saw me running to her, "That a girl, Kacie, let's go!"

We ran to the gates. To the plane. To New York.

* * * * *

A flight attendent spoke with the speakers, "Ladies and gentlemen, the Captain has turned on the Fasten Seat Belt sign. If you haven't already done so, please stow your carry-on luggage underneath the seat in front of you or in an overhead bin. Please take your seat and fasten your seat belt. And also make sure your seat back and folding trays are in their full upright position.

If you are seated next to an emergency exit, please read carefully the special instructions card located by your seat. If you do not wish to perform the functions described in the event of an emergency, please ask a flight attendant to reseat you.

At this time, we request that all mobile phones, pagers, radios and remote controlled toys be turned off for the full duration of the flight, as these items might interfere with the navigational and communication equipment on this aircraft. We request that all other electronic devices be turned off until we fly above 10,000 feet. We will notify you when it is safe to use such devices.

We remind you that this is a non-smoking flight. Smoking is prohibited on the entire aircraft, including the lavatories. Tampering with, disabling or destroying the lavatory smoke detectors is prohibited by law.

If you have any questions about our flight today, please don't hesitate to ask one of our flight attendants. Thank you."

I sat down in to my seat and buckled up. I turned to look at Aunt Mia, who got a seat behind me. I sent her a weak smile and she gave me thumbs - up. She then continued to play her crossword puzzles.

"First time?" I heard from a deep masculine voice next to me.

My head quickly snapped to the person that I had sat down next to. He was staring at me with intrigue. "Um, er - yes." I felt like a child meeting a stranger in the super market.

I was on a plane for the first time and for the next few hours, the stranger next to me would be my company.

And, when you are on an airplane for a few hours next to someone, obviously you will talk to them at least once or twice; strangers or not. It's just human nature.

The man gave me a friendly smile, "My name is Zachary Pines. It's not my first flight, there's nothing to worry about."

"Nice to meet you, Mr. Pines. I'm Kacie Merrit," when I noticed that I was still looking at Mr. Pines with awe, I started to look everywhere, but him.

Mr. Pines chuckled, "Mr. Pines is my Dad! Call me Zachary." He held his hand out for me to shake.

I shook his hand, "Zachary."

"So, why are you going to New York, business or pleasure?"

I looked at him and said very softly, "The University New York."

"Oh? You must be very brilliant. I actually went to NYU. I enrolled in it's art program for graphic design. I am actually returning to the Big Apple because I now work at Disney. I am a graphic designer and I need my work approved for sending off," he informed me.

"Wow, how lucky am I? Sitting on a plane for a few hours with someone with my dream career," I laughed, causing Zachary to join in laughter.

"You're enrolling for the art program?" Zachary said very curiously.

I smiled, "Yes, actually, I got a full - scholarship for the art program. It's my passion."

"As is mine. If you ever have any questions, I would be happy to help you in your studies. Here's my business card," he handed me a red glossy business card.

"Thank - you, Zachary. I would love to!" I said with enthusiam.

Zachary chuckled at my admiration, "However, remember not to call during business hours and not after ten o' clock."

"Of course."

A flight attendant walked stopped by us, "Welcome to Beckley Flights. Would you two like anything to eat or drink?"

Zarchary rougly spoke, "Black coffee, thank - you. And two sugar packets."

"And for you, Miss?" the filght attendent now spoke to me.

"Do you have potato chips?" I asked sheepishly, but chips calm me down. Comfort food, what can I say?

She smiled at me, "Yes, would you like a bag?"

"Yes, thank - you."

After she had gone to get our food, Zachary laughed, "Potato chips?"

"Comfort food?" I looked at him as if he should know, but that only made him laugh harder.

A Few Hours Later

A flight attendant sweetly spoke on the speakers again, "Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to LaGuardia Airport. Local time is 7:04 and the temperature is 75'F.

For your safety and comfort, please remain seated with your seat belt fastened until the Captain turns off the Fasten Seat Belt sign. This will indicate that we have parked at the gate and that it is safe for you to move about.

Please check around your seat for any personal belongings you may have brought on board with you and please use caution when opening the overhead bins, as heavy articles may have shifted around during the flight.

If you require deplaning assistance, please remain in your seat until all other passengers have deplaned. One of our crew members will then be pleased to assist you.

We remind you to please wait until you are inside the terminal to use any electronic devices or to smoke in the designated areas.

On behalf of LaGuardia Airlines and the entire crew, I'd like to thank you for joining us on this trip and we are looking forward to seeing you on board again in the near future. Have a nice day!"

The photo on the side is of Aunt Mia.