twenty-four - velleity ;

a lone hat

a lone hat.

to the group's immediate dismay, it seemed as though the abundance of cars all lay without a drop of gas to spare. their travels would have to continue on foot. glenn and heath reconvened with scott and annie who needed support in order to continue.

"sturgess," nicholas remarked to the group as he examined the dusty and faded blue hat.

saskia sighed, running her hand through her messy tresses of hair as she bit the inside of her cheek nervously. looking to glenn for the next step, she steadied her breathing and tried to remind herself that everything would be okay, that she would see sawyer again, and that she would get the life david inspired her to fight for.

glenn nodded towards nicholas who swallowed thickly, but gathered his courage and led the group around a building close by. their exit plan did not go accordingly, however, as they were met with a few walkers munching on whatever was left of sturgess's corpse. saskia clenched her jaw before turning on her heels and leading the group away from the dead.

once the group emerged, stumbling past the walls, a string of curses fell from nicholas's downturned mouth. in every direction walkers were crawling towards the group. the herd was closing in faster than they had thought.

"nicholas," glenn urged through his teeth, beckoning him to take the next step.

nicholas stuttered and shook his head before he allowed his feet to carry himself and guide the group into a nearby pet store. it had been rifled through long ago but would serve as necessary shelter and protection just fine. saskia was the last one in, pausing to take one look back with a grimace, before quietly closing the doors behind her and turning the lock until she heard a faint click.

after turning around to meet the others, saskia sighed as she ventured through the aisles, biting her lip at the sight of the dead animals. they had not even the chance of leaving their cage. her heart ached among all of the torment.

"we stay quiet, patch scott and annie up, and get out of here," michonne muttered to heath beside her.

"those walkers in the alley and in the street, they're blocking the way out of town," heath bit back with frustration lining his voice.

saskia took notice of the conversation brewing between the two but stayed out of it as she ran her fingers over a soft mat on top of one of the shelves. taking off by herself, she snuck behind another unit to check for any walkers that had not made themselves know earlier upon their entrance.

letting the argument lay stagnant in the air after michonne's final comments, saskia kept her lips closed as she slowly migrated back towards the group, having found no surprise walkers to take care of. glenn inched over with nicholas and shot her a look, silently asking if she was okay. after she nodded hesitantly, he frowned before redirecting his attention fully to the group in front of him.