VIII: Concubine

The days are growing colder.  My days, however, are suspended in a strange routine of exploring and relaxing with Legolas, helping him babysit Erainiel, and trying my absolute hardest not to scare people away. Gelya, the maid who sometimes looks after the Princess, seems to be getting somewhat used to me. Probably courtesy of her close friend Elena.  I suspect the Queen has told more than just Thranduil not to worry about me, and I am, indeed, grateful.

I'm not allowed to spar with anyone yet, even though my fingers itch to grip the hilt of a sword.  Thranduil must still doubt me too much to grant me possession of my weapons.  Nevertheless, my time is filled with things my father would promptly spit on if he could see me now. His daughter not hurting anyone, not killing anyone for days... despite missing Lyrenna, this is the best time I've ever had. 

Any time spent with Legolas is my favourite: walking, fingers entwined and arms swinging gently, under the gold-edged leaves; talking, even about some aspects of my own life I'm willing to share, occasionally glancing at each other's lips; playing with Erainiel, either an intense game of hide-and-seek, or chasing each other and running free through the gardens like wild deer; and finally pressed in that glorious space between him and the wall, breathing him in, deep in the shadows where we won't be found.

No one knows about us yet, excluding the King and Queen's suspicions.  We're our own darkest secret.  Legolas knows we shouldn't be doing this as well as I, but he said it himself—rules aren't going to separate us, and evidently neither is the death penalty my father would bring.  I simply can't resist him.  His touch is the freedom I never had, and his company is far more than I deserve.  If only I wasn't waiting for something terrible to happen, and for this wonderful new peace to be taken away from me as quickly as it arrived.

Legolas has been sent out with the guards this afternoon to rid these lands of another spider infestation.  Apparently these foul creatures have been bothering this kingdom for decades, and Thranduil is just about done with it.  However the Prince's absence means I'm alone, and restricted to certain areas of the kingdom, of course.  When a dark-haired elf with an unnerving glint in his eye crosses my path in the upper gardens, I'm beginning to wish I had stayed in my room. I didn't want any company, especially not company who looks like he wants nothing more than to—

'Look, it's the Prince's latest prey,' drawls the elf, folding a pair of muscular arms across his chest.  Those black eyes look down at me with a sickening desire, lingering in places I would snap the neck of anyone who stares at.  It's so far from the way Legolas looks at me, I cannot explain it.

'I beg your pardon?' I say, cocking my head.

He takes a step towards me, appearing somewhat bulkier than most other elves, particularly with those large biceps.  'First the King, and now his son... they need to be careful, otherwise they will develop a reputation for beautiful elleths.'

Bold of him to think he can insult the royals this way. 'Thranduil and Elena love each other, you insolent fool,' I snap, 'but then, you wouldn't understand that, would you?'

'You answer for them, but not for your precious prince? You surprise me, considering you're his most prized possession—for now, at least.'

'Prized possession?' I splutter in disbelief, 'is that what I am now, some kind of object?'

The elf absent-mindedly flexes his fingers while he lowers his ebony brows. 'You sound just like her Majesty the Queen.'

'I'm not surprised, if you were insulting her as you insult me. And you're insulting Legolas. He would never see me as merely a prize to be won.'

'Oh, he would,' he grins slyly, 'the ellon thinks of nothing but his own desire. The Captain suffered just like you are... he will cut you off eventually. It is in his nature.'