Twenty.exe

"I can't see," I said again in a whisper.

"I know," Captain Rogers repeated.

"You knew... It wasn't dark down there, was it?"

"No," he confessed.

I wanted to drop right there. The feeling of vulnerability that I had experienced while we were still under the rubble was nothing compared to this. Not even when my life was literally in Ultron's hand. All my sides felt like they could be attacked at any moment. I didn't move out of fear of what laid ahead. Right there, standing still, I was somewhat safe. I had solid ground under my feet, I knew that much, but the next step was uncertain. I could be standing in front of the edge of the world and didn't even realize it.

"Kira, we have to move," he told me.

I nodded but I didn't move. I held the boy tighter, protecting him and reassuring me.

Captain Rogers retook my hand and pulled slightly. I took a step and then the next. I had no choice but to trust him completely and, even if he had to pull me from time to time, I did trust him.

We arrived at the hellicarrier. People were running from here to there, and the engines made a consistent loud buzzing. Someone got close to us. I put the kid down and someone took him away. He complained at first but I stopped hearing him eventually.

"Take her to medical," Captain Rogers ordered and a woman took my arm reassuringly while telling me to follow. I felt awkward changing handlers but I tried to roll with it.

"Agent down," he said to another person who, I guessed, took the body.

"Damn," that person said, "Call Langen."

I made the woman stop.

"What?" I said, "Agent Langen? Why?" My new handler pulled me insistently. "Is that Robert?!" I shrugged the woman off and walked blindly towards where I thought the body was.

Someone stopped me, standing in front of me and grabbing my shoulders.

"Kira, you need to go to medical," Captain Rogers told me, holding me back.

"Is that Robert?!"

He didn't answer.

"Captain!" I urged him.

"Yes," he finally said.

I hit him in the stomach as hard as I could but it didn't seem to faze him.

"He's my friend!" I yelled, "How could you not tell me?!"

"Kira, I—" He stayed quiet. I thought maybe he was listening to something through the coms. "I have to go," he said.

I released him. He had to go. I had to let him go. The city was still flying. Ultron could still be out there. There was nothing else he could do here. Robert was already dead.

He let go of me and left. The woman grabbed my arm again, offering me support. I couldn't hear anything she was saying, I didn't even care where she was taking me.

At that moment I just... felt like I had lost. I hadn't even worried about Robert during this whole journey. I thought the creep would outlive me, if anything. I hadn't even had a chance to decide if he was a good guy. He had saved me from Hydra, he had helped rescue Leslie, and he had died protecting me from Ultron. That is a friendship I would have liked. But I guessed we didn't have enough time.

"Robert," I whispered a simple plea.

- - - - -

A knock on my door pulled me out of my trance.

"Kira," Captain Rogers said from my door, "It's Rogers."

"I know," I whispered.

"You can see," he asked.

I nodded. "It was a concussion," I explained, "I started to see again a couple of hours ago. They want to keep me in for observation for a day or two, though."

He nodded, glad. He had his arms crossed over his chest and seemed to want to tell me something.

"Listen, I didn't tell you about Robert-"

"I know," I interrupted him. I didn't need his apology. "You didn't need me freaking out even more. I get it."

He nodded.

"It was still a dick move," I added, getting a look from him. "I know, I know," I said, holding my hands a little up in surrender, "Language."

He smirked.

"I'm sorry," he said and added, "About Robert. He was your friend..."

I nodded, breathing deep trying not to tear up.

"Yeah," I whispered, "I guess he was..."

He nodded again.

"I'm glad you're better," he said. He was about to go but I needed to tell him something.

"Hey, listen," I called, "In my room in the tower, I have my laptop. The password is lesliestayaway. Without spaces. There's a folder called Porn."

He gave me a shocked look, probably wondering why I was telling him this.

I grinned. "I needed an inconspicuous name, okay?" I defended myself, "Believe me, you'll like what you see."

He frowned a little.

"I know you and Sam Wilson are trying to find someone," I said, his face turned stoic, almost scared that I knew. Maybe he thought I might have told someone. Mister Stark, maybe. "I did some research on the side. No one knows about it. Not even Jarvis."

He looked down for a second. Relieved, I thought. And then looked up to me again.

"I was using the Dietrich, but that thing exploded, so," I trailed off, "It's not much, but it might help. Consider it a thank you."

"Thank you," he said surprised, "What are you going to do about the Dietrich, now that it's gone?"

"I'm not too worried," I said smug, "The sword is broken but the knight is still here. I'll just get another sword."

"I hope you'll use it wisely," he said.

"Come on, Captain. It's me we're talking about. We both know I won't," I chuckled.

He smiled softly, nodded. "Rest up, soldier," he said and left.

"Yes, sir," I whispered. I closed my eyes and fell asleep again.

- - -

What an emotional rollercoaster, please.

What did you think? Tell me all about it down in the comments.

Don't forget to vote and share! Thanks!