Twelve.exe

"So, Doctor, what's the plan here?" I said turning the pilot's chair dramatically to look at Doctor Banner. He was pacing the small quinjet, arms folded in a shy way; he looked like a mantis.

"We... wait," he responded as if it were evident.

"Great..." I clawed at the seam of the leather seat. "Do you normally just wait until they need you?"

He looked at me like a professor would to a student who's not understanding the matter at hand. "Yes." And he resumed his pacing.

"Isn't that boring, though?" I said. His eyes darted towards me. "I mean, you would be far more useful out there with them than in here with me."

He rolled his eyes as if he didn't want to share his reasons.

"Hell, I would be more useful out there with them than in here," I muttered.

"We are the last resource," he explained, "If Ultron escapes, we need someone ready to fly and take him down." He paused for a second. "And I am only going in if there's a Code Green."

One of the seams broke and I panicked. I tried to place the leather back together but there was no use. I stood up and cooly walked over to another seat, a cheaper-looking one. If Mister Stark ever asked, I'd had nothing to do with his torn seat.

"So, uh, Code Green," I repeated, praying that he hadn't noticed the little accident. "What does that mean?"

"It means they need the other guy."

"Oh..." I trailed off.

I had always been aware that Doctor Banner was also The Hulk. It had always been at the back of my mind, but I couldn't picture him going all green and crazy. It didn't suit him. Most of the time, he either behaved like a mouse or like a spiritual guru, always calm and centered. On top of that, I had only seen him as the intelligent doctor with three or four PhDs; I had never seen a trace of green. One easily forgot he could rip you apart on a bad day.

"If Ultron comes here," I wondered, "Will you turn green?"

He looked at me as if I had punched a puppy. Was that insensitive? To ask a man if he would turn into a giant green monster to fight an evil robot?

"With all due respect," I added almost questioningly.

"We'll cross that bridge when we get there," he said, arming himself with patience.

"We can always use the gun," I offered.

"Wha-" he said alarmed. "What gun?" he demanded, already reprimanding me.

I pointed towards a duffel bag with equipment. It was half opened and a gun could be seen inside.

"That's Natasha's," he informed me, "Don't touch it."

"Do you know how to use it?" I pressed, "I don't. Well, if you don't count videogames."

"Don't touch it, then," he said.

"If Ultron comes here, we'll fuck him up. Right, Doctor?" I joked, smirking.

He did not seem amused. "Don't say that. And don't touch the gun," he repeated.

I rose my hands slightly in surrender and he continued to pace around, more anxious this time. I may have gotten under his skin.

Best not to talk more, I thought.

I looked at the closed entrance. Even though I was extremely glad Mister Stark had let me come along, I had pictured an experience a little more exciting. At the least, I had imagined I would actually do something to find Leslie. I wasn't helping her inside this plane and I was sure as Hell not helping them either.