20 | Deal With The Devil

YOU KNOW THAT feeling when you wake up from sleeping, and you can't quite differentiate between dream-world and that of reality. Well, that was exactly the position I was in as I sat beside Miles as he rabbited on and on about an upcoming art gallery opening, in which he could enter to be featured in. I didn't mind his insistent chatter, likely more from nerves than excitement, as without this willingness, we'd likely be sat in silence.

I just could resist mulling over the events of the previous day. Tempted as I was to divulge in spilling everything to Miles, I thought it better to just contain it until I could get my mind in order. I mean, it was only a drive back, right? Surely there's nothing of particular significance in that? Only, it was Archer-fucking-Redwood, renowned 'it' boy of the school, in spite of his cold demeanour and proud attitude, or perhaps it was because of it. That wasn't even to mention the proposition he'd made: to be his girlfriend. A fake one, of course. But people would need to think it was real, so really, it wasn't a far leap to really being in a relationship— in public, at least.

My plate was untouched and I didn't feel all that hungry. The already scarce appetite I had fled completely when the Elites walked in, excluding the prince. I imagined him sitting in his room, eating alone as his guard stood by his door. Being alone didn't seem like such a bad thing, though, especially surrounded by diamonds and jewels weighing more than me.

"You're not hungry?" Miles said, his eyes flickering down to my full plate. I shook my head. "... Can I?" I nodded, lamely. With a shrug at my strange manner, he swiped a piece of toast from in front of me and began shoving far more than his mouth could possibly hold in it.

I sighed and slapped his hand away as it reached for more. "You're going to end up choking if you stuff your face with any more."

He rolled his eyes, but retracted his hand, nonetheless, holding it to his chest. "You know you really didn't need to hit me. Besides, I haven't been choked in a while. I'm getting desperate." I rolled my eyes.

"Go out to one of the club's in town, then. I'm sure there'll be plenty of takers there," I said, waving my hand flippantly and letting him pick out more food once again.

He was the one slapping me then, but his were very excitable and repetitive. "That reminds me! There's one that's just opened— some wealthy business man or something— but it's meant to be proper class. They've got at least three floors, a bar, and it's clean, not like some of the other places round here."

"Like I have time for that, Miles," I said. "And I don't really feel the need to be going to a stuffy, probably over-priced nightclub."

"I'll convince you, eventually," he said, far too confident in his own abilities. 'Yeah, good luck with that,' I thought internally, but didn't say anything else.

As a blonde figure approached, passing us so closely that I could smell the distinct whiff of mint as he went, I was tempted to bring up Harry. That is, until I thought better of it, and restrained myself. Every time I'd even gone to say his name, the subject had been changed so quickly it was enough to give anyone whiplash or he'd had urgent 'business' to attend to.

"I'll catch you later," I said, picking up my bag as I caught sight of the clock. "I've got a lecture."

"Have fun," he said, sarcastically. With a discreet flipping off, I went on my way.

***

My phone began buzzing in my pocket as I was making my way back to my room, key already in hand. At the sight of Mum's name, I raised it to my ear.