44 | Thought You Knew

WHEN I KISSED ARCHER, it was like everything around me and him just kind of... faded. The noise from inside was no longer on my mind as all I could think about was that his lips were on mine and his body was so close, and it felt as if everything in the world was holding its breath as we snatched the moment.

His lips were moving against mine, soft and tender at first, before they picked up speed and became almost forceful. It's what I needed, though. Yet, all I could think was that I needed more, more, more. Our bodies seemed to be so in tune with one another, like with each movement, we were able to slot together all the more perfectly.

His hands trailed down to my sides, and this time I wasn't ashamed of the goosebumps he elicited. My heart thumped so intensely that I was sure he could feel it. Maybe he could hear it thrumming in his ears like I could, too.

He nudged me to the wall, so that I was now caged. Instead of feeling frightened by this thought, like I was caged like an animal, I felt empowered. Desperate and feverish, he pressed kisses to my skin, nipping every now and then. His breaths were short and quick and he stared at me with such lust and something deeper that my legs felt about ready to collapse beneath me.

I did this to him.

I was first to pull away. I breathed in a lung full of air but it didn't feel like it was oxygen I was craving but him.

His stare was so intense, but not analysing like I'd grown accustomed to. It's like he was really, truly looking at me. "Jolie, there's something I—"

Somebody stumbling onto the balcony punctured the moment.

"Archer!" Someone said, and he reluctantly dragged his eyes away from my own. His arm was kept securely around me, though, a silent promise for the next time we were alone. I almost quivered. "It's your mother!"

"What about her?" He asked, arms tensing around me.

"She's here!" They yelled. "She's just landed and she's coming."

"Oh my christ," I whispered, looking up at him. Archer gazed down at me for a moment as the person began hurrying him along. "It's fine, go."

He gave me one last look, to which I gave my own encouraging smile. He took it, and turned his back, disappearing through the door and into the throng of people. It didn't take long for him to disappear.

I watched him for as long as I could, before the gravity of the situation hit me.

My fingers flew up to my lips as I felt tingling— like the ghost of his kiss.

What have I done?

***

I've never seen a party get shut down so quickly.

I was on the balcony for no more than ten minutes, trying to figure out what to do and then convince myself that I didn't need to know what to do. By the time I did finally come back inside, the only remaining signs that a party had taken place was the rubbish— cans, bottles, even a shoe here and there.

They were picked up and cleared quickly, though. It was a joint effort, and by the end of it, the place was spotless.

Noah held three black big bags in each hand. "I'll go put these in the bin," he said, before disappearing outside.