The Changlings in Her Life

Disclaimer: I do not own Trollhunters. I am just playing in the sandbox. 

 What was astonished when Barbara told him she knew he was a changeling. 

"James told me," she admitted, "When he told me he's one as well. It's OK if you don't wanna show me, Walt. I just thought you should know that I know." 

They were sitting in the flat he shared with James, Barbara's fiancé.

 "When did James tell you?" Walt asked when he finally found his voice.  

 "Just before he asked me to marry him," Barbara blushed, "He said he wanted me to marry the real him.  Are, are you OK with this, Walt?"

 The changeling hesitated for a moment, "Of course, Barbara. What reason what I have to be upset?" 

Barbara gave him a look, "Walt don't lie to me, please. If you're upset by this, just tell me."

He sighed and hung his head. Changelings did not usually form bonds such as this. If the Janice Order found out it would make Barbara (and James) a target. But Walt could tell,  he was developing feelings for the redheaded med student himself. 

"I'm more shocked than upset, Barbara," Walt explained, "I-I am not used to growing close to others. Did James, did James show you his changeling form?"

 "Yes," Barbara admitted, "But you don't have to if you don't want to. I won't ask you to expose yourself like that." 

Walt wanted to wrap his arms around Barbara and never let go. He couldn't remember the last time someone was willing to even LOOK at him again once they found out he was a changling. With the sigh, he stood and took a step back from the sofa. In a flash of green light, Walt had vanished and in his place stood his changling form, Stricklander.  Barbara guest and covered her mouth. Her eyes darted over his light green skin and glowing yellow eyes. 

"You-You," she stammered, ,"You look like an avocado!"

Stricklander fixed her with a bewildered  stare.

"Well... That's not one I've ever heard before," he said, "An avocado? James usually claims that look like a sour apple."

Barbara giggled,"He told me that. But I don't like sour apples, I like avocados."

Taking a step forward, Barbara hugged him tightly,"You're my best friend Walt, and I don't care what you look like. I love you."

It was with those last two sentences that Strickland her now. He would do anything for Barbara. Anything. 

~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~

 Walt sat in the second row of the church when Barbara and James got married. While he, personally, didn't like the young changeling, he could easily see how happy James made his best friend. And Barbara's happiness is what matters most to Walt. At the reception, after she danced with her new  husband and with her brother, Walt asked Barbara for a dance. 

"You look lovely, my dear," he whispered as he twirled her around the dance floor, "Congratulations."

"Walt," she giggled," You're acting like this is the end of something. James and I aren't even moving that far away. Just down the road and around the corner!"

"I know that Barbara," Walt chuckled,"But that doesn't mean I won't miss you. I think I might even miss James being around the flat!"

Barbara laughed,"Don't be so dramatic, Waltholomew Stricklander. Think of it this way, James is MY problem now."

Walt laughed. Soon, to soon for him but not soon enough for James, their dance came to an end.

"May you live your best life and always be happy, Barbara Lake," Walt whispered before kissing her on the cheek.

Barbara blushed, "Thank you, Walt. Without you I might never have met James. And I don't know what I would do without both the changlings in my life."

Walt smiled and handed her back to her new husband before sitting down. He watched as the duo happily danced around the floor to the upbeat music.

"I was surprised when she told me she was marrying James."

Walt jumped, startled at the sudden arrival of Lucas, Barbara's brother.

"I thought for sure she was gonna marry you," the man continued," She always talked about you more than she did about him."

Walt narrowed his eyes,"If you're trying to start trouble it won't work. Barbara has never seen me that way and she is my best friend, nothing more."

Lucas fixed him with a hard stare before looking out at his sister,"Keep telling yourself that, Walter. Keep tellin' yourself that."

AN: Let me know what you think so far. Chapter 2 is nearly done. This chapter was, not exactly BACED off of but, inspired by the fact that my step-Dad was present at my parents' wedding. He worked for the catering company.