Chapter 4: Domzalski

Disclaimer n the first chapter.

Walt scooped up Jim, kissing the todler on the cheek. Barbara had already left for her classes and Draal had already gone to Trollmarket. Walt just  had to drop Jim off across the street at Mrs. Domzaski's before he, too, could head to the Hero's Forge. 

"Are you ready to meet Nana's grandson, Young Atlas?"He asked his son.

"Yeah!" The two-year-old cheered, "Yeah, Dada!"

Dada. Walt never tired of hearing Jim say that simple word.

Walt grinned and opened the door,"Well, then, let's go!"

Jim wrapped  his arms around his father's  neck and the two set out across the street. Only a moment after Walt nocked did the old woman, with a rather chubby todler on  her own hip, answer  the door.

"Ah! There you are, Walt!" She  said in her shrill  voice," Toby Pie has been so exited to meet Jimmy. Can  you say 'Hi' to Walt and Jimmy, Toby  Pie?"

"Hi," the todler gurgled with a large, gap-toothed grin.

"Hi!" Jim replied with a matching grin.

Walt set Jim on the floor and knelt in front of him.

"Alright, Young Atlas," He said,"Dada will be back to get you in a few hours. You have fun with Toby and behave for Nana, understood?"

"Yes, Dada," Jim  hugged his father as if he were leaving forever.

Walt chuckled and kissed Jim's  forehead one  last time, freezing  when his lips touched smooth, cold, stone rather than soft, warm, flesh. Walt looked  down at the whelp in his arms. 

"'M sorry, Dada," Jim whimpered,"I tried not to."

Walt looked up at Nana and Toby fearfully. He  and Barbara had  worked very hard to keep this a secret.

"Nana! Nana!" Toby squealed, "He like me!"

To Walt's surprise, the red-haired boy changed much like his own just had! He had four arms, sky blue skin, sea-foam green hair, and black and blue eyes. Walt's jaw  dropped and Nana's eyes went wide.

"I'll keep your secret if you keep mine?" The old woman offered.

Walt  nodded,"Agreed. Shall  we discuss this more with Barbara. Over tea when we come to pick Jim up?"

"Agreed," Nana nodded.

Nana set her grandson on the floor with Jim and bid Walt goodbye.

~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~

Barbara starred at the two blue children in front of her. Toby and Jim,  who had become fast friends, lay on the floor by the sopha, drawing.

"So..." She began,"Toby is a..."

"An alien, yes," Nana admited, "And Jimmy is a...Troll?"

"Sort of," Walt clarified, "Technically he is a pollymorph as he does not have a human familiar. I've only met one other and he does not have the same origin as Young Atlas. (1) Jim's father was a changling, like I am, but Barbara is human."

Nana raised  her eyebrows, "'His father'? You mean Jimmy's not yours? But he looks  just like you!"

Barbara laughed  loudly. 

Walt blushed,"You wouldn't believe how often  we hear that. No, um, I adopted Young Atlas when he was six-months-old. But that doesnt matter to me, Jim IS my son."