Chapter 2: Jim

Disclaimer in first chapter.

Barbara and  Walt sat across from each other at a little cafe near Barbara and James'  house.  

"What did you want to talk about, Barbara?" Walt asked,  taking a sip of his coffee.

Barbara took a deap breath,"I'm pregnant."

Walt choked on  his coffee.

"Walt!" Barbara gaspd,"Are you alright?!"

With a final cough, Walt looked up at her.

"I'm fine,"he assured her,"I just...wasn't expecting that. When did you find out?"

"Day before yesterday," Baarbara said,"Other than James, you're the first person I've told."

Walt grinned,"Well, congratulations, My Dear. Do you know the due date yet?"

"September or October is  all I know, right now," Barbara said, "I'm going to the doctor next week. That's when I'll get an actual date. Then, I'm going to finish the semester before taking some time of to focus  on  the baby."

Walt nodded,"If that's what you want to do,  I'll agree that it seams like a good idea. But, just so you know, I will babysit any time you need it."

Before  Barbara could thank her best friend, Walt continued.

"Oh! And I will be spoiling this child ABSOLUTELY rotten!"  

Barbara burst out laughing," I don't doubt that for a second, Walt. I really don't."

~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~

Barbara was three months along when James  started taking  more shifts  at work.

"Money's gonna be tight for a while, Hon," he explained,"Especially after the baby is  born."

Because of this, James was rarely home. It was  Walt who ended up helping Barbara with a lot, if not most, of the baby preparations. When she was six months along, Barbara and Walter began working on the  nursery. They painted the walls a pale grey and put sky blue carpets in the room. Barbara wanted to wait untill the baby was born to find out the gender. One day, Walt surprised  her by spending THREE HOURS putting together the cot for her. But, threw it all, Walt was hiding something. He didn't  tell anyone that he was reading every  book on child birth he could  get his hands on. If Barbara went into labor early, he wanted to be able to help her in any  situation.

It  was during  Barbara's seventh month that Walt received a package in the mail written in his sister's  handwriting. Walt ran several spells over the package, checking for curses,  before opening the accompanying letter.

"Dearest Stricklander," It  bee gang.

Walt knew his sister was being a sarcastic little shit. And  he wouldn't have it any  other way.

"It has come to our attention that your hooman friend is expecting a whelp. As it is unlikely that  either of us will be invited to the 'baby-shower' we would like to ask you to give her our gifts. WE PROMISE THEY  ARE NOT CURSED!!!!! But, you problebly already  checked for that, didn't you? We know how protective you are of the fleshbag.

                                  Your LOVING siblings,

                                Nomura and Otto"

Walt raised  his eyebrows. Though the trio (secretly) loved eachother, Walt was still astonished that his "brother  and sister" had gone out of their ways to congradulate his friend. Packing up the gift, Walt made his way over to the Lake household.