Chapter Twenty-Five

Peter sat at the kitchen table with Natasha, looking at Fury who was in the kitchen.  Tony was throwing darts in the dining room with Clint behind him and Steve in the doorway between the living room and the dining room.

Tony had been hesitant to let Peter down, which Peter now understood, but he had eventually conceded.

"You're most likely going to eavesdrop anyway," Tony said with a shrug. "Might as well just let you sit down here with us."

"Ultron took you folks out of play to buy himself time," Fury said, filling up a cup with some alcoholic beverage.  Peter noticed Clint's daughter rushing over to Natasha and giving her a drawing - of what, Peter didn't fully see.  A butterfly, maybe? "My contacts all say he's building something. The amount of vibranium he made off with, I don't think it's just one thing."

"What about Ultron himself?" Peter asked, Fury then looking at him.

"Oh, he's easy to track," Fury answered.  "He's everywhere. The guy's multiplying faster than a Catholic rabbit. It still doesn't help us angle any of his plans though."

"Is he still going after launch codes?" Tony asked, retrieving his darts from the dart board.

"Yes, he is. But he's not making any headway."  Fury set his drink down and leaned against the counter.

"I cracked the Pentagon's firewall in high school on a dare," Tony said, raising an eyebrow before throwing another dart.

"Well, I contacted our friends at the Nexus about that,"  Fury replied.

"Nexus?" Steve asked, a bit confused.  You'd think with all the time he spends with Tony that he'd know what Nexus is, but, it seemed as if he had no idea.

"It's the world Internet hub in Oslo,"  Bruce said, speaking up from the corner.  "Every byte of data flows through there. Fastest access on Earth."

"So what'd they say?" Peter said, getting back on focus.

"He's fixated on the missiles. But the codes are constantly being changed."

"By whom?" Tony asked, quickly turning as Clint threw a dart from behind him that nearly hit his face.  Clint just shrugged and looked at Fury, smirking a little.

"Parties unknown." Fury said plainly.

"Do we have an ally?" Natasha asked from the table.

"Ultron's got an enemy. That's not the same thing. Still, I'd pay folding money to know who it is."  Fury left the kitchen and went into the dining room.

"I might need to visit Oslo. Find our unknown." Tony set the darts down, shooting Clint a glare.

"Well, this is good times, boss, but I was kind of hoping when I saw you, you'd have more than that." Natasha said, looking at Fury.

"I do. I have you."  Fury looked around the room.  "Back in the days, I had eyes everywhere. Ears, everywhere else. You kids had all the tech you could dream up. Here we all are, back on Earth, with nothing but our wit and our will to save the world. Ultron says the Avengers are the only thing between him and his mission. And whether or not he admits it, his mission is global destruction. All this, laid in a grave. So stand. Outwit that platinum bast-" F

"Steve doesn't like that kind of talk." Natasha said quietly, causing Peter to laugh quietly.  There had been a joke since the mission where they got the scepter about Steve and not caring for language, which they were never going to let go, much to Steve's dismay.

"You know what, Romanoff?" Steve shot her a look.

"So what does he want?" Fury asked, getting them
Back on track.