Chapter Five: Locket

Aria's p.o.v.

My phone pressed against my ear, it rung and rung then stopped.

'This is Ellie, leave a  message at the tone.'

"Hey Ellie, it's me, Aria. I just," I forcefully swallowed the saliva sitting on my tounge. "Can you call me back? Please? I really need someone to talk to." After pressing the hang up button I tossed my phone onto the bed.

I sat down on infront of my desk and picked up the letter my father wrote me. I smiled and folded my letter and tucked it in my drawer. I was glad there was at least one person out there who cared about me.

Suddenly, my thoughts were distracted due to a loud thud.

"Mom?" I called out, but no answer. I stood up and opened my room door, called out again, "Mom?"

I ran to my moms room and swung open the door. My mom was laying on the ground, groaning in pain.

"Mom!? What happened?" I rushed down on my knees to help her. My mom grabbed onto my arm, trying to stand.

"No mom, sit back down. I'll call an ambulance." I said standing back up to get my phone.

"Honey, no I'm fine." She said. Thats when it hit me. My mom hasn't been eating for weeks. She probably fainted due to lack of nutrition.

"Mom, I'll go make you some food, ok?" I helped her back to her bed.

"Aria wait." She reached over to the other side of her bed and pulled out something from her night stand drawer.

She gave me a small white box.

"Happy birthday." She smiled.

I was taken aback. I was so sure she had forgotten, even I almost forgot. I took the gift from her hand and opened it. It was a golden locket. I opened it. There laid a picture of my mom, dad and I at a football game. We all looked so happy.

I felt a sharp pain in my heart, I missed this. I miss going to games together. I miss eating together as a family every night. I miss seeing my mom and dad in the crowd at my dance competitions.

Tears began to fill my eyes, making my vision blurry. I wrapped my mom in a tight hug.

"Thanks mom, I love it." I whispered.