Chapter 35

When the Doctor had reached the room where Cobb was, he saw, not entirely surprising, Cobb sitting in the corner of the other side of the room with one arm wrapped around Rose's throat. There was a little wound at Rose's left cheek, and blood was streaming out of it. Donna stood next to the Doctor, holding her breath when she saw what Cobb was trying to do. Her hope that the Doctor would keep his word was almost gone. She saw how the Doctor was shaking, not out of fear for Rose, but more out of anger. He was trying to control himself. At least he was trying, that was a good thing.

The Doctor knew that he had given Donna his word, and he truly didn't want to break it. He wanted to be loved and trusted by his companions. But that didn't mean that he didn't feel like murdering Cobb right on the spot. The blood on Rose's cheek didn't make him feel any less murderous.

'Let her go. Now,' the Doctor said, trying to keep his voice in check.

Cobb swallowed, he was still mad with fear. He had seen the terrible things the Time Lord had done, and he had seen all the power he possessed. That power was now almost radiating from the Doctor's body, but Cobb didn't want to let Rose go. This was his only chance to escape from the Doctor's wrath.

'I- I will... Give her b-back if you l-let me go,' Cobb stammered, his grip on Rose tightening.

'She brought you food, and water,' the Doctor stated, looking at the plate that was standing untouched next to the pair. 'This is not a very good way to thank her, is it? She didn't want me to be anywhere near you anymore, she was afraid of what I would do with you. So she decided to look after you herself. And now you have given me a reason to enter this room again.'

'P-please... L-let me go and leave m-me a-alone,' Cobb managed to plead.

'I was leaving you alone. Until you decided to keep my Rose hostage. I wonder why... I knew humans were stupid, but this is unbelievable. She shows you kindness, something I really don't have for you, and now you do this.'

There was a slight tremble in the Doctor's voice that scared Donna. It was as if he could explode within a couple of seconds if someone gave him a reason to.

'Let her go, please, and we will make sure that nothing happens to you,' Donna said to Cobb, who looked at her as if he only noticed her just now.

'I am not so sure about that... You hurt Rose. Maybe I will not let you go anymore. Maybe I will pay you a visit, when my companions are sleeping... Then I can do whatever I want with you. Anything,' the Doctor hissed, taking a few steps towards Cobb, who was shrinking back and using Rose as his shield.

'I-I... I c-can s-strangle her if you d-don't let me g-go,' Cobb said weakly, every bit of the soldier he was completely gone.

'Oh you wouldn't... Because then you have nothing standing between you and me anymore. So you are going to give her your deepest apologies, and then you will hand her over to me. If you don't, if you try to hurt her any further, then I will have to get nasty. I'll be with you before you can even think about killing her,' the Doctor said.

'Doctor! You promised...' Donna interrupted before the Doctor covered her mouth with his hand.

'Hush...' he whispered. 'I know what I promised. I asked you to trust me, now don't interrupt me.'

Donna frowned angrily, but she didn't say anything back.

'So... your last chance. What do you think?' the Doctor asked Cobb.

'If I-I give h-her b-back... Will you l-leave m-me alone?' the man stuttered.

'Depends on my mood. I'll let you know later. Don't test me. Let her go.'