ten

His friend was in trouble, that's what Eden gathered when she overheard him finally answered his ringing phone

His friend was in trouble, that's what Eden gathered when she overheard him finally answered his ringing phone. His tone started off hostile, telling whoever was on the receiving end to stop calling but his voice faded out mid-sentence before his limbs were moving with an enhanced speed that Eden wasn't used to him using.

Damon was dressed within seconds, a dark shirt, leather jacket and dark jeans. His shoes he hopped in at the door, tying them and pulling her along before she could even make a noise of protest. "Are you going to tell me what is going on?"

"Ric, my best friend also the same guy who compelled Elena to forget me is in trouble and I have to go help him."

"Alaric," Eden started, repeating his full name more so for herself, putting together names and lining them up with the stories Damon had told her. "He's the one who was turned by an Original witch, basically making him an Original vampire."

"That would be the one," He distractedly confirmed, his hands turning the wheel and speeding off down the road. Leaning his arm over, eyes still on the road he strapped her seatbelt in, knowing his driving wouldn't be what she was used to and he couldn't afford anything happening to Eden in the process.

She was barefaced and in plain clothes, a random band t-shirt with holes everywhere and shorts that showed more of her skin than it covered. "Did they tell you what happened to him?"

"That would be a very long story and we only have a thirty minute drive and that won't cover even half of it."

Eden accepted the answer, relaxing into the leather seat of Damon's car, his music choice varying from classic rock to annoyingly catchy pop songs. "Are you nervous?"

"Why would I be nervous?"

"To see Elena again? You have been making it your mission to avoid her."

"I am perfectly fine, everything is going to be okay. I have my lucky charm by my side and—"

It all hit her at once, whatever else Damon had said fell on deaf ears, her realization seeming to be far more important. "You brought me along to make her jealous."

"I'm bringing you with me to remind me why I'm staying with you."

"That doesn't make any sense at all."

One hand on the wheel and the other reached over to take her hand, her fingers were stiff and he could tell that she was feeling more sad than she was angry. "Don't get me wrong, I love my friends but I don't want to be sucked back into the chaos, you keep me sane and calm. I brought you so they can see how much better I'm doing and that someone can see me as more than just the bad guy."

Internally, Damon was hoping his words would be enough, convince Eden different that what she had presumed of his actions and a Damon like smirk split across his face when her hands relaxed, fingers sliding between the cracks of his own. "Still sounds like you're using me but in a much sweeter way."

"You are coming with me because I want you there. I can't promise you it won't be awkward or uncomfortable but if you stick around after you see how crazy my life is, it'll be worth it."

He could feel her watching him, analyzing his features like she was painting him in the most precious picture she could muster. Subconsciously his thumb was tracing letters on the back of her hand as some kind of reassurance.

The rest of the drive flew by fairly quickly, the travels ending once reaching Whitmore College. "I'm having Vietnam flashbacks," Sliding her sunglasses down from her head to its proper place, Damon glanced over with a gentle smile on his face—the impeding danger they'd driven into not yet plaguing their simple pleasures.

"I bet you looked like a babe in college, short little daisy dukes and crop tops. You probably even had one of those girly anklets with an elephant on them."

Eden let out a snort, one leg hiking up onto the dash while a brunette with long legs sauntered over to the car. "Elephants are a symbol of wisdom and I was more of a skirt kinda girl." Straightening her posture and subconsciously fixing her hair, the expressionist felt slightly intimidated when Damon's ex-lover sat elegantly in the backseat.

She was beautiful, that she couldn't deny but it became easier for her to think of ways to make her face less attractive until she was broken out of her thoughts with a cough. "What?"

"I'm Elena, we haven't met before."

"No we haven't," Subtly ignoring Elena's outstretched hand, she continued her introduction. "I'm Eden."

Blue eyes jumped from one girl to the other, one completely forgotten about their love and one who was teaching him a new feeling; Damon couldn't quite put a finger on what. "Now that the awkward feeling has thoroughly circulated through the car, where is Ric and your sense of urgency?"

"Drive to Mystic Falls, Stefan and Caroline are already on their way there."

"Care to fill me in on the details I'm clearly missing."

Adjusting herself in the back, Elena clicked her seatbelt into place, a human habit she kept forgetting she no longer needed. "Enzo started it really, causing trouble and getting caught by a hunter from the Founding Families. Ric went to go help but he got caught too. Stefan and Caroline went first to block the road before he kills them."

Leaving her response at that, Damon pushed his foot down on the pedal, the car driving much faster than before and Elena watched his hand reach out to tighten the seatbelt wrapped across Eden's chest. She didn't realize how long she'd be thinking about that moment until they finally made it to Alaric, Enzo and the others.

The hunter had already driven past the Mystic Falls boundary lines, the supernatural spell unraveling upon entry. Ric was bleeding from more places than could be controlled until Eden slapped some diy bandages on and ordered Stefan and Caroline to get him to a hospital—Enzo was dragged back over by Damon, healing slowly. The only human, the hunter with blonde hair and blue eyes now all tainted with a dark red as his heart no longer beat.

"We might have a problem," Elena hesitantly tucks some of her hair behind her ear, chunky heeled shoes clicking on the concrete walk back to the car; her phone gripped tightly in her hands. "Ric's going to be fine, Jo fixed him before he died but saving him took away his vampirism."

"He can't give you back the memories you asked him to take." Eden spoke the words before she could even filter herself, it wasn't much of her business but after hearing Damon talk about it so much—how strongly her decision had impacting him and his feelings, Eden couldn't keep holding it back.

Both females glanced over at Damon, his jaw was clenched shut, beautiful cerulean eyes blinking almost mechanically. "Damon?"

"I don't have anything to say or else I would have said it. You wanted to forget me so badly, Elena and you always get what you want."

Eden wanted to feel bad, Damon was hurt that much was obvious and that part made her stomach twist in knots but looking at Elena, watching her want to feel guilt for forgetting someone she'd supposedly once loved—the feeling didn't come and Elena looked fine. "Take care of him."

"I have been."