A Warm Welcome Home

I walk into the bullpen, filled with desks and computers and filing cabinets, and people begin to clap. I blush and look away. "Stop, stop, everybody! Come on, it was nothing!" I say humbly, and everyone laughs. "Artemis, you took a bullet for a civilian! That's not nothing!" My friend, Nick, says. I gently rub the scar over my heart and sigh. "Another centimeter closer and I wouldn't have made it" I say. "Dayl! My office!" The captain says, and I nod. "Duty calls" I say, and go over to the captain's office. I open the door and see a man sitting lazily in the chair in front of the captain's desk. I study him, his bright red hair, his round face and brown eyes. That hair can't be in regulation. I think to myself, and sit in the other chair, looking up at the captain. "Artemis, this is Detective Gerard Way, of the Trenton pd. He's been tranferred here to replace Detective Covington" he says, and I nod sombrely. Detective Covington was my partner, and he didn't make it out of the last case we did together. "That means, Detective Dayl, he is your partner" I look to the captain incredulously, then sigh when I see his stern 'and that is final look'. I look to the side and see Gerard staring at me, one arm slung over the one leg he has up on the chair. He sees me looking at him and smirks. I look away, my eyes narrowing. "You two are dismissed" the captain says, and I stand, quickly leaving the office and going to my desk, looking through the files. "None of these are new.." I mumble, and I feel a tall presence behind me. "Don't you think you should rest a little longer?" I hear someone say, and turn to see Gerard standing behind me, his hands in his back pockets. "I'm fine, Detective Way." I say pointedly, and he chuckles. "Please, just call me Gee" he says, and I sigh. I sit at the desk and pull up the database, seeing that I have all my reports in as well, the last one being put in by Nick. I groan and sit back, rubbing my hands over my face. I move my hands away and see Gee standing over me, looking down and smirking. I jump and sit up, turning to him and glaring. "Are you just going to bother me for the rest of the day?" I ask, and he shrugs, giving me a face that says 'yea, pretty much'. I turn away from him and he moves to the desk in front of me, placing his elbows on the desk and resting his chin in his hands. I glance at him and he smirks at me again. I roll my eyes and open another file on my computer. I begin typing quickly, my eyes dancing across the screen. "Whatcha doin?" Gee asks in a sing-songy voice. I glare at him for a second, then go back to watching the screen. He leans back in his chair, bringing a leg up onto his desk and crossing the other one over it. This is gonna be a long career...